- Prospective Graduate Students |
- Simon Brassell, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Grad Student 2015-2016 Handbook and Forms
- Prospective Undergraduate Students |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Kathy Davis Undergraduate Advisor
- Spring 2016 Schedule of Classes | (PDF)
- 2015-16 Department Directory | (PDF)
- Hoosier Geologic Record
- BSES Program
- Indiana Geological Survey
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- Geological Sciences Library Resources
IUDOGS on Social Media
- Follow us on Facebook
- Tweets by @IUGEOLSCI
News and Announcements
DOGS lunch in March
The schedule still has spaces for students on March 4, March 24, and April 21. Undergrads and grads are welcome. These are 5-10 minute presentations on your research projects. Contact Kaj Johnson for more information.
Graduate Student Rebecca Caldwell AGU Outstanding Student Paper Award
Rebecca Caldwell, a graduate student in Doug Edmonds’ group, won an Outstanding Student Paper Award at the 2015 American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco. Her paper was titled Developing a truly global delta database to assess delta morphology and morphodynamics. More information
Geological SciencesProfessor Emeritus David Dilcher Co-Authored a paper in Proceedings B of The Royal Society Publishing
The evolutionary convergence of mid-Mesozoic lacewings and Cenozoic butterflies. Mid-Mesozoic kalligrammatid lacewings (Neuroptera) entered the fossil record 165 million years ago (Ma) and disappeared 45 Ma later. Extant papilionoid butterflies (Lepidoptera) probably originated 80–70 Ma, long after kalligrammatids became extinct.
More information and link to the article
IU Paleontology Collection seeking volunteers
Are you looking for a volunteer position?
The IU Paleontology Collection, located on the 5th floor of the Geology Building, is now open and available for research purposes. We are currently seeking volunteers from the IU and Bloomington community to help with the daily management of the collection. More information
Events and Outreach
- February 12: Gerard Schuster, King Abdullah University Saudi Arabia Title: Olduvai Basin Seismology and its implications for evolution of hominid paleoenvironments. 10:00 a.m. Room S201.
- February 15: Hydrology/Surface Processes Candidate talk. Title: TBA
4:00 p.m. GY126. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby.
- February 16: Hydrology/Surface Processes Candidate Brown Bag seminar Title: TBA
Sigma Gamma Eplilon offers Tutoring In Geological Sciences
SGE tutoring sessions are held every Monday, 5-7 pm in G220. Contact Jeremiah Mickey for more information.