Recent Publications (2011 - present)
- Petrogenesis of 1000 Ma felsic tuffs, Chhattisgarh and Indravati basins, Bastar craton, India: Geochemical and Hf-isotope constraints by Marion E. Bickford, Abhijit Basu, George D. Kamenov, Paul A. Mueller, Sarbani Patranabis–Deb and Arunangshu Mukherjee: Journal of Geology v. 122, pp. 43–54 DOI 2014)
- Recycled detrital quartz grains are sedimentary rock fragments indicating unconformities: examples from the Chhattisgarh Supergroup, Bastar craton, India by Abhijit Basu, Juergen Schieber, Sarbani Patranabis–Deb, and Pratap Chandra Dhang: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 83, pp. 368–376 DOI (2013)
- Implications of a newly dated ca. 1000-Ma rhyolitic tuff in the Indravati Basin, Bastar Craton, India by Arunangshu Mukherjee, Marion E. Bickford, Jack Hietpas, Juergen Schieber, and Abhijit Basu: Journal of Geology, v. 120, pp. 477–485 DOI (2012)
- New U–Pb SHRIMP zircon ages of the Dhamda Tuff in the Mesoproterozoic Chhattisgarh Basin, Peninsular India: stratigraphic implications and significance of a 1–Ga thermal-magmatic event by Marion E. Bickford, Abhijit Basu, Arunangshu Mukherjee, Jack Hietpas, Juergen Schieber, Sarbani Patranabis–Deb, Ranjan Kumar Ray, Rajeeva Guhey, Purbasha Bhattacharya, and Pratap Chandra Dhang: Journal of Geology, v. 119, pp. 535–548 DOI (2011)
- J.C. Stern, A.C. McAdam, I.L. Ten Kate, D.L. Bish, D. Blake, R.M. Morris, R. Bowden, M. Fogel, M. Glamoclija, P.R. Mahaffy, A. Steele, and H. Amundsen, (2013) Isotopic and Geochemical Investigation of Two Distinct Mars Analog Environments Using Evolved Gas Techniques in Svalbard, Norway. Icarus, 224, 297-308. DOI
- M.C. Cheshire and D.L. Bish, (2012) Mineralogical and sulfur isotopic evidence for sulfate reducing and disproportionating bacteria influencing pyrite and marcasite formation in the Georgia kaolins. Clay Minerals, 47, 559-572.
- J.L. Bishop, E.B. Rampe, D.L. Bish, Z. Abidin, L.L. Baker, N. Matsue, and T. Henmi (2013) Spectral and Hydration Properties of Allophane and Imogolite. Clays and Clay Minerals, 61, 57-74.
- M.S. Rice, E.A. Cloutis, J.F. Bell III, D.L. Bish, B.H. Horgan, S.A. Mertzman, M.A. Craig, R.W. Renaut, B. Gautason, B. Mountain (2013) Reflectance Spectra Diversity of Silica-Rich Materials: Sensitivity to Environment and Implications for Detections on Mars. Icarus, 223, 499-533. DOI
- D.F. Blake, R.V. Morris, G. Kocurek, S.M. Morrison, R.T. Downs, D. Bish, D.W. Ming, K.S. Edgett, D. Rubin, W. Goetz, M.B. Madsen, R. Sullivan, R. Gellert, I. Campbell, A.H. Treiman, S.M. McLennan, A.S. Yen, J. Grotzinger, D.T. Vaniman, S.J. Chipera, C.N. Achilles, E.B. Rampe, D. Sumner, P-Y Meslin, S. Maurice, O. Forni, O. Gasnault, M. Fisk, M. Schmidt, P. Mahaffy, L.A. Leshin, D. Glavin, A. Steele, C. Freissinet, R. Navarro-González, R.A. Yingst, L.C. Kah, N. Bridges, K.W. Lewis, T.F. Bristow, J.D. Farmer, J.A. Crisp, E.M. Stolper, D.J. Des Marais, P. Sarrazin and the MSL Science Team (2013) Curiosity at Gale crater, Mars: Characterization and analysis of the Rocknest sand shadow. Science, 341, article 1239505.
- D.L. Bish, D.F. Blake, D.T. Vaniman, S.J. Chipera, R.V. Morris, D.W. Ming, A.H. Treiman, P. Sarrazin, S.M. Morrison, R.T. Downs, C.N. Achilles, A.S. Yen, T.F. Bristow, J.A. Crisp, J.M. Morookian, J.D. Farmer, E.B. Rampe, E.M. Stolper, N. Spanovich, and the MSL Team (2013) X-ray diffraction results from Mars Science Laboratory: Mineralogy of Rocknest at Gale Crater. Science, 341. DOI
- L.A. Leshin, P.R. Mahaffy, C.R. Webster, M. Cabane, P. Coll, P.G. Conrad, P.D. Archer, S.K. Atreya, A.E. Brunner, A. Buch, and the MSL Sci Team (2013) Volatile, Isotope, and Organic Analysis of Martian Fines with the Mars Curiosity Rover. Science, 341, Article Number: UNSP 1238937. DOI
- E.M. Stolper, M.B. Baker, M.E. Newcombe, M.E. Schmidt, A.H. Treiman, A. Cousin, M.D. Dyar, M.R. Fisk, R. Gellert, P.L. King, and the MSL Science Team (2013) The Petrochemistry of Jake_M: A Martian Mugearite. Science, 341, Article Number: 1239463. DOI
- R.M.E. Williams, J.P. Grotzinger, W.E. Dietrich, S. Gupta, D.Y. Sumner, R.C. Wiens, N. Mangold, M.C. Malin, K.S. Edgett, S. Maurice, and the MSL Science Team (2013) Martian Fluvial Conglomerates at Gale Crater. Science, 340, 1068-1072. DOI
- J.P Grotzinger (2013) Analysis of Surface Materials by the Curiosity Mars Rover. Science 341 27 Abstract | Reprint | Full Text
- P.-Y. Meslin, O. Gasnault, O. Forni, Schröder, A. Cousin, G. Berger, S.M. Clegg, J. Lasue, S. Maurice, V. Sautter, S. Le Mouéic, R.C. Wiens, C. Fabre, W. Goetz, D.L. Bish, N. Mangold, B. Ehlmann, N. Lanza, A.-M. Harri, R. Anderson, E. Rampe, T.H. McConnochie, P. Pinet, D. Blaney, R. Léveillé, D. Archer, B. Barraclough, S. Bender, D. Blake, J.G. Blank, N. Bridges, B.C. Clark, L. DeFlores, D. Delapp, G. Dromart, M.D. Dyar, M. Fisk, B. Gondet, J. Grotzinger, K. Herkenhoff, J. Johnson, J.-L. Lacour, Y. Langevin, L. Leshin, E. Lewin, M. B. Madsen, N. Melikechi, A. Mezzacappa, M.A. Mischna, J.E. Moores, H. Newsom, A. Ollila, R. Perez, N. Renno, J.-B. Sirven, R. Tokar, M. de la Torre, L. d’Uston, D. Vaniman, A. Yingst, and the MSL Science Team (2013) Soil Diversity and Hydration as Observed by ChemCam at Gale Crater, Mars. Science 341. DOI PDF
- D.F. Blake, R.V. Morris, G. Kocurek, S.M. Morrison, R.T. Downs, D.L. Bish, D.W. Ming, K.S. Edgett, D. Rubin, W. Goetz, M.B. Madsen, R. Sullivan, R. Gellert, I. Campbell, A.H. Treiman, S.M. McLennan, A.S. Yen, J. Grotzinger, D.T. Vaniman, S.J. Chipera, C.N. Achilles, E.B. Rampe, D. Sumner, P.-Y. Meslin, S. Maurice, O. Forni, O. Gasnault, M. Fisk, M. Schmidt, P. Mahaffy, L.A. Leshin, D. Glavin, A. Steele, C. Freissinet, R. Navarro-González, R.A. Yingst, L.C. Kah, N. Bridges, K.W. Lewis, T.F. Bristow, J.D. Farmer, J.A. Crisp, E.M. Stolper, D.J. Des Marais, P. Sarrazin, and the MSL Science Team (2013) Curiosity at Gale Crater, Mars: Characterization and Analysis of the Rocknest Sand Shadow. Science 341. DOI PDF
- D.L. Bish, D.F. Blake, D.T. Vaniman, S.J. Chipera, R.V. Morris, D.W. Ming, A.H. Treiman, P. Sarrazin, S.M. Morrison, R.T. Downs, C.N. Achilles, A.S. Yen, T.F. Bristow, J.A. Crisp, J.M. Morookian, J.D. Farmer, E.B. Rampe, E.M. Stolper, N. Spanovich, and the MSL Science Team (2013) X-ray Diffraction Results from Mars Science Laboratory: Mineralogy of Rocknest at Gale Crater. Science 341. DOI PDF.
- Brassell S.C. (2014) Climatic influences on the Paleogene evolution of alkenones. Paleoceanography. 29. DOI
- Furmann, A. Mastalerz, M., Brassell, S.C., Schimmelmann, A., Picardal F. (2013) Extractability of biomarkers from high- and low-vitrinite coals and its effect on the porosity of coal. Int. J. Coal Geol. 107, 141-151. DOI
- Gao L., Brassell S.C., Mastalerz M., Schimmelmann A. (2013) Microbial degradation of sedimentary organic matter associated with shale gas and coalbed methane in Eastern Illinois Basin (Indiana), USA. Int. J. Coal Geol. 107, 152-164. DOI
- Furmann A., Schimmelmann A., Brassell S.C., Mastalerz, M., Picardal F. (2013) Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal. Chem. Geol. 339, 226-241. DOI
- Cheshire M., Bish D.L., Brassell S.C. (2012) Organic geochemical composition of the Georgia kaolins: Insights into formation and diagenetic conditions. Clays & Clay Min. 60, 420-439. DOI
- Wang R., Zhang S., Brassell S., Wang J., Lu Z., Ming Q., Wang X., Bian L. (2012) Molecular carbon isotope variations in core samples taken at the Permian-Triassic boundary layers in southern China. Int. J. Earth Sci. 101, 1397-1406. DOI
- Colcord D., Cadieux S.B., Brassell S.C., Casteneda I.S., Pratt L.M., White J.R. (2014) Assessment of GDGTs as paleotemperature proxies in a series of lacustrine sediments from southwestern Greenland. GDGT-Based Proxies Mtg., Texel, the Netherlands.
- Colcord D., Cadieux S.B., Brassell S.C., Casteneda I.S., Pratt L.M., White J.R. (2013) Assessment of GDGTs as paleotemperature proxies in a series of lacustrine sediments from southwestern Greenland. Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA. Abstract PP33E-05.
- Brassell S.C. (2013) Significance of tocopherols during Cretaceous OAE. Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA. Abstract PP33B-1922.
- Brassell S.C. (2013) Climatic influences on the evolution of alkenones. 26th Intl. Mtg. Org. Geochem., Tenerife, Spain.
- Brassell S.C. (2013) Climatic influences on molecular evolution. Packard Fellows 25th Year Reunion, Denver, CO.
- Brassell S.C. (2013) Significance of tocopherols in immature sediments deposited during Cretaceous OAE. IODP Workshop: Exploring the Cretaceous Greenhouse through Scientific Drilling, London, UK.
- Brassell S.C. (2012) A temporal limit on the alkenone paleotemperature proxy. Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA. Abstract PP43B-2041.
- Brassell S.C. (2012) Biogeochemical palaeotemperature proxies in the Southern Ocean: a review of their potential and proven utility. 34th Int. Geol. Congress, Brisbane, Australia.
- Brassell S.C. (2012) Proxies for redox conditions during early Aptian Oceanic Anoxic Event 1A. Gordon Conf. Org. Geochem., Plymouth, NH.
- Brassell S.C. (2012) Proxies for redox conditions during early Aptian Oceanic Anoxic Event 1A. Eur. Union Geosci. Mtg., Vienna, Austria.
- Brassell S.C. (2011) Variations in paleotemperatures and paleoenvironmental proxies associated with OAE1a. Amer. Geophys. Union Fall Mtg., San Francisco, CA. Abstract PP21C-1807.
- Brassell S.C. (2011) Palaeotemperatures and palaeo-environmental changes during OAE 1a at Shatsky Rise. 25th Intl. Mtg. Org. Geochem., Interlaken, Switzerland.
- Furmann A., Schimmelmann A., Brassell S.C., Mastalerz M., Picardal F. (2011) Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal. Int. Conf. Gas Geochem., San Diego, CA.
- Furmann A., Picardal F., Schimmelmann A., Brassell S.C., Mastalerz M. (2011) Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal. 21st V.M. Goldschmidt Conf., Prague, Czech Republic.
- Brophy JG, Pu X (2012) Rare Earth Element–SiO2 systematics of mid-ocean ridge plagiogranites and host gabbros from the Fournier oceanic fragment, New Brunswick, Canada: a field evaluation of some model predictions. Contrib. Mineral. Petrol. 164, 191-204.
- Brophy JG, Ota T, Kunihiro T, Tsujimori T, Nakamura E (2011) In situ ion-microprobe determination of trace element partition coefficients for hornblende, plagioclase, orthopyroxene and apatite in equilibrium with natural rhyolitic glass, Little Glass Mountain Rhyolite, California. American Mineralogist 96, 1838-1850.
- Bowen BB, Ochoa R, Wilkens ND, Brophy JG, Lovell TR, Fischietto N, Medina C and Rupp J (2011) Depositional and Diagenetic Variability Within the Cambrian Mount Simon Sandstone: Implications for Carbon Dioxide Sequestration. Environmental Geosciences 18, 69-89.
Research related to professional sub-discipline interests
- Douglas, B.J., E. Ripley, and L.J. Suttner, “Indiana University Geologic Field Programs Based in Montana: G429 and Other Field Courses, a Balance of Traditions and Innovations”, Geologic Society of America Special Paper, Field Geology Education: Historical Perspectives and Modern Approaches, Whitmeyer, S., D. Mogk, and E. Pyle, Editors, 16 p., 5 Tables, 9 Figures.
- Douglas, B.J. and K. Dull, Analysis of Cenozoic basin bounding faults, Southwestern Montana, (to be submitted to J. Structural Geology), 19 pp., 10 figures, (wrote text and created figures based on Dull's M.S. thesis and previous unpublished regional work). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J., M. Foust, and D. Taylor, Sandbox analog model for erosion in fold and thrust mountain belts, (to be submitted to Geology), 15 pp., 5 figures, (wrote text and created figures). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J. and C. McWilliams, Estimation of activation energies for olivine from xenoliths from southernmost South America, (to be submitted to J. Structural Geology), 14 pp., 3 figures, 2 tables, (wrote text and refined calculations, work partially based on McWilliams senior thesis). (peer reviewed)
- Douglas, B.J. and E. A. Moore, Investigating lithospheric coupling across the Nazca/Antarctic and South American plate boundary in the vicinity of the Chile Rise Triple junction using finite-element models, (to be submitted to Tectonics), (wrote text and refined interpretations from M.S. thesis material of E. A. Moore). (peer reviewed)
- Osterloo, M, Douglas, B.J., and Finkelstein, D., Structural analysis of the Warner Valley extensional basin, south-central Oregon: Strain quantification using field and remote sensing data sets, (to be submitted to Journal of Structural Geology), 35pp., 12 figures (worked with student to take MS thesis material and create journal manuscript). (peer reviewed)
- Pulchalski, S.S., B. J. Douglas and C.C. Johnson,"Effects of valve microstructure on strength and preservation potential of two modern chiton species"(to be submitted to PALAIOS), 30 pp., 9 figures. (peer reviewed)
- New research was continued with colleagues in three new areas of applied rock mechanics. This involved establishing procedures for working with non-traditional specimens for strength testing and characterization of fracture properties. The investigations required working to establish procedures compatible with accepted ASTM Standards and then conducting testing for three different projects in conjunction with other researchers on campus. One involved the strength of clays with applications for archeological investigations into early advances in pottery strength and a second involved the fracture characteristics of chiton shells with application to damage and preservation characteristics prior to burial.
Research related to teaching and learning
- Followed up on work with School of Education PhD student Orvil White to adapt techniques in laboratory exercises used in GEOL-G 105 for the teaching of geologic time. This will be part of an ongoing study using students in a single class to see whether teaching techniques can solve the problems associated with non-science majors grasping concepts related to large numbers with a particular emphasis on geologic time.
- Participated with Dr. J. Elkins from the Department of Geology at Bowling Green State University that is investigating how students handle learning in field-based setting. The project specifically addresses how the environment itself, referred to as novelty space, can affect the student's ability to learn.
- Initiated a study to investigate decision making in a field-based learning environment. This study addresses what is not a unique situation for many real life situations, but one that is common in teaching within the earth and environmental sciences – the use of field-based learning. The field component adds a new dimension to the decision making process that involves both spatial and temporal components that are linked to the student's ability to make decisions and learn to problem solve.
- Dunning, J., Battacharya, Dunning, K., Zitman, Siswaro, Dobbs, Williams, Sanusi, Nicklow, and Corrigan (the last 7 are students at IU) Matching Learning Styles and Pathways of Interactive Learning Objects to those of the Student: a Double Blind Study of Students in an Introductory College Geology Class, Accepted for the proceedings of the International Conference on Education and Information Science, IIIS, 18 pp.
- Repurposeable Learning Objects, Encyclopedia of Multimedia Technology and Networking,(2007) Dunning, Bhattacharya, Ansari, and Kaur, 429–441
- Dunning, J., Battacharya, Dunning, K., Do Learning styles really matter?, submitted to the Journal for Asynchronous Learning. 21 pp.
- Nardin, W., and Edmonds, D.A., Optimal vegetation height for sedimentation in deltaic freshwater marshes, (in review) Nature Geoscience
- Burpee A.P., Slingerland, R.L., Edmonds, D.A., Parsons, D., Best, J., Cederberg, J., McGuffin, A., Caldwell, R.L., Nijhuis, A., and Royce, J., Grain size control on the morphology and stratigraphy of river-dominated deltas, (in review) Journal of Sedimentary Research
- *Caldwell, R.C., and Edmonds, D.A., A numerical modeling study of the effect of sediment properties on delta process and morphology (in review) JGR-Earth Surface
- Edmonds, D.A. and Caldwell, R.C., (in press) River Delta Processes and Shapes, Encyclopedia of Natural Resources, ed. Y.Q. Wang.
- Hajek, E.A., and Edmonds, D.A., (2014) Is river avulsion style controlled by floodplain morphodynamics? Geology, DOI.
- Canestrelli, A., Nardin, W., Edmonds, D.A., Fagherazzi, S., and Slingerland R.L., (2014) Importance of frictional effects and jet instability on the morphodyanmics of river mouth bars and levees JGR-Oceans, 119, DOI.
- Nardin, W., Mariotti, G., Edmonds, D.A., Guerico, R., and Fagherazzi, S., (2013), Growth of river mouth bars in sheltered bays in the presence of frontal waves. J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surf., 118, 872–886, DOI.
- Snyder, N.P., Nesheim, A.O., Wilkins, B.C., and Edmonds, D.A., (2013) Predicting grain size in gravel-bedded rivers using digital elevation models: application to paraglacial watersheds in Maine. Geological Society of America Bulletin 125.1-2 (2013): 148-163
- Edmonds, D. A., (2012) Stability of backwater influenced bifurcations: a study of the Mississippi–Atchafalaya bifurcation. Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L08402, DOI
- Edmonds, D. A., Paola, C., Hoyal, D., Sheets, B. (2011) Metrics to quantify the morphology of river deltas and their channel networks. Journal of Geophysical Research–Earth Surface, DOI
- Edmonds, D.A., Shaw, J., and Mohrig, D., (2011) Topset–dominated deltas: a new model for river delta stratigraphy, Geology, 39, p. 1175–1178; DOI
- Paola, C., Twilley, R., Edmonds, D.A., Kim, W., Mohrig, D., Parker, G., Viparelli, E., Voller, V. (2011) Natural Processes in Delta Restoration: Application to the Mississippi Delta. Annual Reviews of Marine Science, 25.
Published or In Press
- Elswick, E.R. and Johnson, C.C., Evaluation of a Siliciclastic Diamictite from Belize.(submitted to the Journal of South American Earth Sciences, Dec 2005; Accepted Feb 2007; Further revisions sent back to journal July 2008)
- Overberg-Webb, K, Craft, C., Elswick, E., 2008, The evaluation of the freshwater western pearl mussel, Margaritifera falcata (Gould, 1850), as a bioindicator through the analysis of metal partitioning and bioaccumulation: Northwest Science, v.82, no.3, p. 163-173.
- Monaghan, G.W., Gerke, T.L., Elswick, E.R., and Fik, C. 2008, Geoarchaeology and Geophysics at the Angel Site, Angel Mounds State Historic Site, Evansville, IN: Field Trip # 11; Geological Society of America, North-central Section Meeting. April 26, 2008.
- Struck, S.D., Craft, C.B., and Elswick, E.R. Stable Isotopes as indicators of soil reduction and organic matter sequestration following brackish marsh creation. (submitted to Environmental Science and Technology, Oct. 2008)
Preparing for Submission
- Elswick, E.R., and Anwar, A.M., Sandstone petrology and rare earth and trace element geochemistry of the Early Permian Santa Rosa Group sediments, Maya Mountains, Belize. (for submission to GSA Bulletin)
- Elswick, E.R., The trace element characteristics of the alteration zones of the main hydrothermal field Manus Basin, Bismark Sea. (for submission to ODP Reports)
- Elswick, E.R., Finkelstein, D.B., and Pratt, L.M., Sulfur budget of YAX-1 core, Chicxulub crater with models for sulfur isotopic fractionation patterns observed around the impact interval. (for submission to Science)
- Hill, MM and Elswick, E.R., Sauer, P.E., Sedimentation and nutrient loading rates, Griffy Reservoir, Bloomington, IN. (for submission to Journal of Environmental Quality)
- Fosdick, J.C., Grove, M., Hourigan, J.K., and Calderón, M., 2013, Retroarc deformation and exhumation near the end of the Andes, southern Patagonia: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 361, p. 504-517, DOI.
- Fosdick, J.C., Romans, B.W., Fildani, A., Calderón, M.N., Bernhardt, A., and Graham, S.A., 2011, Kinematic history of the Cretaceous–Neogene Patagonia fold–thrust belt and Magallanes foreland Basin, Chile and Argentina (51°30’S): GSA Bulletin, v. 123, p. 1679-1698. DOI
- Romans, B.W., Fildani, A., Hubbard, S.M., Covault, J.A., Fosdick, J.C., and Graham, S.A., 2011, Evolution of deep–water stratigraphic architecture, Magallanes Basin, Chile. Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 28, p. 612–628. DOI
- Fosdick, J.C. and Colgan, J.P., 2008, Miocene extension in the East Range, Nevada: A two-stage history of normal faulting in the northern Basin and Range: GSA Bulletin, v. 120, p. 1198-1213. DOI
Preparing for Submission
- Fosdick, J.C., Grove, M., Graham, S.A., Hourigan, J.K., Lovera, O.M., and Romans, B.R., in review Basin Research, Detrital thermochronologic record of burial heating and sediment recycling in the Magallanes foreland basin, Patagonian Andes.
- Hamburger, M.W. Big Red Goes Green! Indiana University’s Emerging Sustainability Initiative, Assn. Adv. Sustainability in Higher Ed., Symposium volume.
- M.W. Hamburger, D. Fuente, Navigating Theory and Practice: Indiana University’s Summer Program in Sustainability Amer. Assn. Sustainability in Higher Ed., Symposium volume.
- M.W. Hamburger, Green Campus, Green Future, Research & Creative Activity, 13:1, 2-4.
- M.W. Hamburger, Y. Kopnichev, A. Levshin, V. Martynov, N. Mikhailova, P. Molnar, P. G. Richards, S. Roecker, D. Simpson, B.E. Tucker, R. Wesson , 2008, In Memoriam: Vitaly Ivanovich Khalturin (1927-2007), Seism. Res. Lett., 78:6, 577–578.
- M. Hamburger, Galgana, G., Q. Chen, and K. Johnson, Geodetic Observations From the Region Surrounding the M 5.2 Mt. Carmel, Illinois Earthquake [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 89(53), Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract G21A-0664.
- Horton, S.P., S. Ayele, T. Stigall, G. Pavlis, H. Deshon, M. Hamburger , and M. Withers, Aftershocks of the Mw 5.2 April, 18, 2008, Mt. Carmel, Illinois Earthquake [abstract], Seismol. Soc. of Amer., Eastern Section, Program & Abstracts, p. 30.
- M.W. Hamburger, G. A. Galgana, K. M. Johnson, R. W. King, Crustal deformation in the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone based on ten years of GPS campaign measurements, UNAVCO Science Workshop, Program & Abstracts.
- M. Hamburger, Galgana, G., Q. Chen, and K. Johnson, 2008, Is There a Connection Between Seismicity and Deformation in the New Madrid and Wabash Valley Seismic zones? [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 88(52), Fall Meet. Suppl. Abs. T51D-0766.
- Galgana, G., M. Hamburger, R. McCaffrey, T. Bacolcol, and M. Aurelio, Modeling the Philippine Mobile Belt: Tectonic blocks in a deforming plate boundary zone [abstract], EOS, Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., 88(52), Fall Meeting Suppl. Abstract G21C-0670
- Herrmann, Edward W. (In Press). Prehistoric Food Preservation, encyclopedia entry in The Archaeology of Food, eds. Mary Beaudry, Karen Metheny, AltaMira/Rowman and Littlefield, publishers.
- Herrmann, Edward W. (2013). Pre-Mississippian Projectile Points in Mississippian Context at Angel Mounds. Midcontinental Journal of Archaeology, 38(2):189-204.
- Herrmann, Edward W. (2013). Dissertation Geoarchaeology of Paleoindian and Early Archaic Site Distributions in the White River Valley, Indiana.
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Herrmann, Edward W., G. William Monaghan, William F. Romain, Timothy M. Schilling, Jarrod Burks, Karen Leone, Matthew P. Purtill, Alan C. Tonetti. A New Multi-Stage Construction Chronology for the Great Serpent Mound, USA.
- Herrmann, Edward W. and G. William Monaghan. Preservation of Late Pleistocene Sediments in Bedrock-confined Valleys.
- Herrmann, Edward W. Geochronology of Floodplain Morphology in the White River Valley, Indiana.
- Herrmann, Edward W. Geomorphic Response to Bedrock-Confined Fluvial Systems: Geoarchaeological Implications.
- Simonelli, G.A., Johnson, C.C., Elswick, E.R., Kauffman, E.G., Eble, C.F., and Hasiotis, S.T. (2013) Sedimentology, geochemistry and paleobiology of a Pennsylvanian marginal marine depositional environment, Mansfield Formation, Indiana, USA. Indiana Geological Survey Occasional Paper 71.
- Zhu, C., Rehrey, G., Treadwell, B., and Johnson, C.C. (2012) Looking Back to Move Ahead: How Students Learn Deep Geological Time by Predicting Future Environmental Impacts. Journal of College Science Teaching – A peer-reviewed journal published by the National Science Teachers Association. 41(3), 61-66.
- Kay, R.F., Hunt, K.D., Beeker, C.D., Conrad, G.W., Johnson, C.C. and Keller, J. (2011) Preliminary notes on a newly discovered skull of the extinct monkey Antillothrix from Hispaniola and the origin of the Greater Antillean monkeys. Journal of Human Evolution, 60, issue 1, 124-128.
- Chuang, R.Y., K.M. Johnson, Y.T. Kuo, Y.M Wu, C.H. Chang, and L.C. Kuo (submitted, 2014) Retro-wedge backthrust of the doubly-vergent Taiwan orogenic belt illuminated from joint inversions of seismic and GPS data for the 2013 Rueisuei earthquake, Geophysical Research Letters.
- Maurer, J., and K.M. Johnson (2013). Fault coupling and potential for earthquakes on the creeping section of the Central San Andreas Fault, Journal of Geophysical Research, manuscript #2013JB010741R
- Johnson, K.M. (2013). Is stress accumulating on the creeping section of the San Andreas fault?. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(23), 6101-6105.
- Field, E.H., G.P. Biasi, P. Bird, T.E. Dawson, K.R. Felzer, D.D. Jackson, K.M. Johnson and Yuehua Zeng (2013). "Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, Version 3 (UCERF3)–The Time-Independent Model." US Geological Survey Open-File Report 1165 (2013).
- Chuang, R.Y., Johnson, K.M., Wu, Y.M., Ching, K.E., and Kuo, L.C. (2013). A midcrustal ramp-fault structure beneath the Taiwan tectonic wedge illuminated by the 2013 Nantou earthquake series. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(19), 5080-5084.
- Johnson, K.M., Shelly, D.R., and Bradley, A.M. (2013). Simulations of tremor-related creep reveal a weak crustal root of the San Andreas Fault. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(7), 1300-1305.
- Yang, Y.R., Johnson, K.M., and Chuang, R.Y. (2013). Inversion for absolute deviatoric crustal stress using focal mechanisms and coseismic stress changes: The 2011 M9 Tohoku-oki, Japan, earthquake. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 118(10), 5516-5529.
- Johnson, K.M. (2013). Slip rates and off-fault deformation in Southern California inferred from GPS data and models. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 118(10), 5643-5664.
- Johnson, K.M., D.R. Shelly, and A.M. Bradley (2013), Simulations of tremor-related creep reveal a weak crustal root of the San Andreas Fault, Geophys. Res. Lett. 40. DOI
- Johnson, K. M., J. Fukuda, and P. Segall (2012), Challenging the rate-state asperity model: Afterslip following the 2011 M9 Tohoku-oki, Japan, earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L20302. DOI
- Huang, W.-J., and K. M. Johnson, 2012, Strain accumulation across strike-slip faults: Investigation of the influence of laterally varying lithospheric properties, J. Geophys. Res. DOI
- Shelly, D., and K. M. Johnson (2011), Tremor reveals stress shadowing, deep postseismic creep, and depth-dependent slip recurrence on the lower-crustal San Andreas fault near Parkfield, Geophys. Res. Lett. DOI
- Chuang, R. and K. M. Johnson, 2011, Reconciling geologic and geodetic fault-slip-rate discrepancies in southern California: consideration of non-steady mantle flow and lower crustal fault creep, Geology. DOI
- Ching, K.-E., K. M. Johnson, R.-J. Rau, R. Y. Chuang, L.-C. Kuo, and P.-L. Leu (2011), Inferred Fault geometry and slip distribution of the 2010 Jiashian, Taiwan, earthquake is consistent with a thick-skinned deformation model, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 31, 1-2, p. 78-86
- Ching, K.-E., R.-J. Rau, K. M. Johnson, J.-C. Lee, and J.-C. Hu (2011), Present-day kinematics of active mountain building in Taiwan from GPS observations during 1995-2005, Journal of Geophysical Research, 116, B09405. DOI
- Sun, J., K. M. Johnson , Z. Cao , Z.-K Shen , R. Bürgmann , X. Xu (2011), Mechanical constraints on inversion of co-seismic geodetic data for fault slip and geometry: example from InSAR observation of the 6 October 2008 Mw 6.3 Dangxiong-Yangyi (Tibet) earthquake, J. Geophys. Res., 116, B01406. DOI
- Kanu, C. and K. M. Johnson (2011), Arrest and Recovery of Frictional Creep on the southern Hayward fault triggered by the 1989 Loma Prieta, California earthquake and Implications for Future Earthquakes, J. Geophys. Res., 116, B04403. DOI
- Puchalski, S.S., and Johnson, C.C., 2008. Preservation Potential of Katharina tunicata and Mopalia muscosa (Mollusca, Polyplacophora). Lethaia. DOI 10.1111/j.1502-391.2008.00125.x
- Puchalski, S.S., Eernisse, D.J., Johnson, C.C., 2008. Effect of sampling bias on the fossil record of chitons (Mollusca, Polyplacophora). American Malacological Bulletin, v. 25, p. 87-95.
- Elswick, E.R., and Johnson, C.C., 2008. A siliciclastic diamictite from the Maya Mountains, Belize. Journal of South American Earth Sciences.
- Kauffman, E.G., and Swado, J.K., 2008. A Mosasaur-Predated Nautiloid from the Maastrichtian Pierre Shale, Central Colorado, Western Interior Basin, USA. Lethaia.
- Puchalski, S.S., Johnson, C.C., Kauffman, E.G., and Eernisse, D.J., 2008. A new genus and two species of multiplacophorans (Mollusca, Polyplacophora, Neoloricata), Mississippian (Chestrian), Indiana. Journal of Paleontology.
- Johnson, Claudia C., Beeker, Charles D., Budziak, Anna T., Stewart, Joshua D., and Kauffman, Erle G., Coral recruits on submerged cultural artifacts, 1724 Guadalupe Underwater Archaeological Preserve, Dominican Republic. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Program, Vol. 39, No. 6, p. 404.
- Johnson, C.C., and Kauffman, E.G., 2006. Bivalve, rudist. AccessScience2006; DOI 10.1036/1097-8542.802330.
- Mao Y-J, Qin K-J, Li C, Xue, S-C, Ripley EM (2014) Petrogenesis and ore genesis of the Permian Huangshanxi sulfide ore-bearing mafic-ultramafic intrusion in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt, western China. Lithos 200–201, 111–125
- Thakurta J, Ripley EM, Li C (2014) Platinum group element geochemistry of sulfide-rich horizons in the Ural-Alaskan type ultramafic complex of Duke Island, southeastern Alaska. Economic Geology 109, 643–659
- Donoghue KA, Ripley EM, Li C (2014) Sulfur Isotope and Mineralogical Studies of Ni-Cu Sulfide Mineralization in the Bovine Igneous Complex Intrusion, Baraga Basin, Northern Michigan. Economic Geology 109, 325–341
- Tao Y, Bi X, Li C, Hu R, Li Y, Liao M (2014) Geochronology, petrogenesis and tectonic significance of the Jitang granitic pluton in eastern Tibet, SW China. Lithos 184–187, 314–323
- Wang Q, Deng J, Li C, Li G, Li Y, Qiao L (2014) The boundary between the Simao and Yangtze blocks and their locations in Gondwana and Rodinia: Constraints from detrital and inherited zircons. Gondwana Research 26, 438–448
- Deng J, Wang Q, Li G, Li C, Wang C (2014) Tethys tectonic evolution and its bearing on the distribution of important mineral deposits in the Sanjiang region, SW China. Gondwana Research 26, 419–437
- Zhang Z-W, Li W-Y, Gao Y-B, Li C, Ripley EM, Kamo S (2014) Sulfide mineralization associated with arc magmatism in the Qilian Block, western China: Zircon U-Pb age and Sr-Nd-Os-S isotope constraints from the Yulonggou and Yaqu gabbroic intrusions. Mineralium Deposita 49, 279–292
- Sun T, Qian Z-Z, Li C, Xia M-Z, Yang S-H (2013) Petrogenesis and economic potential of the Erhongwa mafic–ultramafic intrusion in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt, NW China: Constraints from olivine chemistry, U-Pb age and Hf isotopes of zircons, and whole-rock Sr-Nd-Pb isotopes. Lithos 182–183, 185–199.
- Wei B, Wang CY, Li C, Sun Y (2013) Origin of PGE-depleted Ni-Cu sulfide mineralization in the Triassic Hongqiling No.7 orthopyroxenite intrusion, Central Asian Orogenic Belt, NE China. Economic Geology 108, 1813–1831
- Sun T, Qian Z-Z, Deng Y-F, Li C, Song X-Y, Tang Q (2013) PGE and Isotope (Hf-Sr-Nd-Pb) Constraints on the Origin of the Huangshandong Magmatic Ni-Cu Sulfide Deposit in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt, NW China. Economic Geology 108, 1849–1864
- Xia M-Z, Jiang C-Y, Li C, Xia Z-D (2013) Characteristics of a newly-discovered Ni-Cu sulfide deposit hosted in the Poyi ultramafic intrusion, Tarim craton, NW China. Economic Geology 108, 1865–1878
- Peng R, Zhai Y, Li C, Ripley EM (2013) The Erbutu Ni-Cu deposit in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt: a Permian magmatic sulfide deposit related to boninitic magmatism in an arc setting. Economic Geology 108, 1879–1888
- Tang Q, Ma Y, Zhang M, Li C, Zhu D, Tao Y (2013) The origin of Ni-Cu-PGE sulfide mineralization in the margin of the Zhubu mafic-ultramafic intrusion in the Emeishan large igneous province, SW China. Economic Geology 108, 1889–1901
- Li C, Ripley EM, Thakurta J, Stifter EC, Qi L (2013) Variations of olivine Fo-Ni contents and highly chalcophile element abundances in arc ultramafic cumulates, southern Alaska. Chemical Geology 351, 15–28
- Maier WD, Rasmussen B, Fletcher IR, Li C, Barnes S-J, Huhma H (2013) The Kunene Anorthosite Complex, Namibia, and Its Satellite Intrusions: Geochemistry, Geochronology, and Economic Potential. Economic Geology 108, 953–986
- Ripley EM, Li C (2013) Sulfide saturation in mafic magmas: Is external sulfur required for magmatic Ni-Cu-(PGE) ore genesis? Economic Geology 108, 45–58
- Tang Q, Zhang MJ, Li C, Yu M, Li L (2013) The chemical compositions and abundances of volatiles in the Siberian large igneous province: constraints on magmatic CO2 and SO2 emissions into the atmosphere. Chemical Geology 339, 84–91
- Li G, Li C, Ripley EM, Kamo S, Su S (2012) Geochronology, petrology and geochemistry of the Nanlinshan and Banpo mafic-ultramafic intrusions: implications for subduction initiation in the eastern Palaeo-Tethys. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 164, 773–788
- Li C, Tao Y, Qi L, Ripley EM (2012) Controls on PGE fractionation in the Emeishan picrites and basalts: constraints from integrated lithophile-siderophile elements and Sr-Nd isotopes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 90, 12–32
- Ding X, Ripley EM, Shirey SB, Li C, Moore CH (2012) Os, Nd, O and S isotope constraints on country rock contamination in the conduit related Eagle Cu-Ni-(PGE) deposit, Midcontinent Rift System, Upper Michigan. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 89, 10–30
- Bai Z-J, Zhong H, Li C, Zhu, W-G, Xu GW (2012) Platinum-group elements in the oxide layers of the Hongge mafic-ultramafic intrusion, Emeishan Large Igneous Province, SW China. Ore Geology Reviews 46, 149-161.
- Li C, Thakurta J, Ripley EM (2012) Low-Ca content and kink-banded texture are not unique for mantle olivine: evidence from the Duke Island Complex, Alaska. Mineralogy and Petrology 104:147–153.
- Ding X, Ripley EM, Li C (2012) PGE Geochemistry of the Eagle magmatic sulfide deposit, upper Michigan: Constraints on ore genesis in a dynamic magma conduit. Mineralium Deposita 47, 89-104.
- Li C, Zhang M, Fu P, Qian Z, Hu P, Ripley EM (2012) The Kalatongke magmatic Ni-Cu deposit in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt, NW China: Product of slab window magmatism? Mineralium Deposita 47, 51-67.
- Li C, Ripley EM (2011) The Giant Jinchuan Ni-Cu-(PGE) Deposit: Tectonic Setting, Magma Evolution, Ore Genesis and Exploration Implications. In: Li C, Ripley EM (eds) Magmatic Ni-Cu and PGE Deposits: Geology, Geochemistry and Genesis: Reviews in Economic Geology, Volume 17, Society of Economic Geologists, Inc, Denver, Colorado, p. 163-180.
- Ripley EM, Li C 2011) A review of conduit related Ni-Cu-(PGE) sulfide mineralization at the Voisey’s Bay deposit, Labrador, and the Eagle deposit, northern Michigan. In: Li C, Ripley EM (eds) Magmatic Ni-Cu and PGE Deposits: Geology, Geochemistry and Genesis: Reviews in Economic Geology, Volume 17, Society of Economic Geologists, Denver, Colorado, p. 181-198.
- Tang D, Qin K, Li C, Qi L, Su B, Qu W (2011) Zircon dating, Hf-Sr-Nd-Os isotopes and PGE geochemistry of the Tianyu sulfide-bearing mafic-ultramafic intrusion in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt, NW China. Lithos 126, 84–98
- Ripley EM, Li C, Moore CH, Elswick ER, Maynard JB, Paul RL, Sylvester P, Seo JH, Shimizu N (2011) Analytical methods for sulfur determination in glasses, rocks, minerals and fluid inclusions. Rev Mineral Geochem 73, 9-39
- Zhang M, Li C, Fu P, Hu P, Ripley EM (2011) The Permian Huangshanxi Cu-Ni deposit in western China: Intrusive-extrusive association, ore genesis and exploration implications. Mineralium Deposita 46, 153-170
- Merino, E. (2013) "Kinetic–rheological insights uncovered by the self–accelerating brucite–for–periclase replacement. The blind spot of geochemists." AGU Abstract 1787774, San Francisco, Dec 2013
- Merino E., Wang, Yifeng, and Banerjee, A. (2012) Self–organized dynamics of karst limestone landscapes and coupled terra rossa/bauxite formation. Abstr 1483537. AGU Fall Meeting, Dec 2012.
- Merino, E., Wang, Yifeng, and Banerjee, A. (2012) Self–organized dynamics of karst limestone landscapes and coupled terra rossa formation. Abstr 1483537. AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco Dec 2013.
- Merino, E., Canals, À. (2011) Self–accelerating dolomite–for–calcite replacement: Self–organized dynamics of burial dolomitization and associated mineralization. Amer. J. Science, v. 311, p. 573–607. DOI [pdf]
- Banerjee, A. and Merino, E. (2011) Terra rossa genesis by clay–for–limestone replacement: III. Dynamic quantitative model. J. Geology 119, p. 259–274. DOI
- Merino, E., and Canals, À. (2011) Self–accelerating dolomite–for–calcite replacement: Self–organized dynamics of burial dolomitization and associated mineralization. Amer. J. Science, v. 311, p. 573–607. DOI
- Banerjee, A. and Merino, E. (2011) Terra rossa genesis by clay–for–limestone replacement: III. Dynamic quantitative model. J. Geology 119, p. 259–274. DOI
- Banerjee, A. and Merino, E. (2011) Terra rossa genesis by clay–for–limestone replacement: III. Dynamic quantitative model. J. Geology 119, p. 259–274. DOI
- Merino E., Wang, Yifeng, and Banerjee, A. (2012) Self–organized dynamics of karst limestone landscapes and coupled terra rossa/bauxite formation. Abstr 1483537. AGU Fall Meeting, Dec 2012.
- "Palygorskite (Attapulgite) in Central China", SME Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Laboratory Evaluation of Industrial Clays Prior to Processing", SME Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Regional and International Changes - Industrial Clay", SME Annual Meeting. Denver, Colorado, 2009.
- "Historical Review - Georgia Kaolin Industry - Geology of Industrial Minerals", Forum for Industrial Minerals, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2008.
- "Adsorption of Toxins by a Mixture of Montorillonite and Palygorskite". Clay Minerals Society, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008.
- Njau, J.K. Olduvai Gorge Archaeological Site. C. Smith (ed.), Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology, DOI.
- Masao, F.T., Anton, S., and Njau, J.K. (2013). Results of recent investigations of the Oldowan and associated hominid remains at the DK site, Olduvai Gorge. In: Africa, cradle of humanity: Recent discoveries. Centre National de Recherches Prehistoriques, Anthropologiques et Historiques. Nouvelle serie no. 18, Pp. 147-187.
- Njau, J.K. (2012). Reading Pliocene Bones. Science 336, 46-47.
- Njau, J.K. (2012). Crocodile predation and hominin evolution: Landcscape paleoanthropology at Olduvai Gorge. LAP GmbH and Co. KG. Saarbrucken, Germany, pp. 323.
- Njau, J.K. and Blumenschine, R.J. (2012). Crocodylian and Mammalian Carnivore Feeding Traces on Hominin Fossils from FLK 22 and FLK NN 3, Late Pliocene, Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Journal of Human Evolution 63, 408-417.
- Blumenschine, R.J., Stanistreet, I.G., Njau, J.K., et al. (2012). Environments and Hominin Activities across FLK Peninsula During Zinjanthropus Times (1.84 Ma), Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Journal of Human Evolution 63, 364-383.
- Westaway, M., Thompson, J.,Wood, W., and Njau, J.K. (2011). Crocodile ecology and the taphonomy of early Australasian sites. Environmental Archaeology 16, (2) 124-136.
Published Journal Articles
- Harper, D., Olyphant, G. A., and Branam, T. D., 2013, Direct revegetation and the sustainability of reclaimed mine lands—the story of the Friar Tuck Site, Indiana, in Comer, J. B., ed., Effects of abandoned mine land reclamation on ground and surface water quality—research and case histories from Indiana: Indiana Geological Survey Special Report 72: 83-125.
- Waddle, R. C., and Olyphant, G. A., 2012. Hydrogeologic modeling of flow within sulfate-reducing bioreactors: Implications for system design and performance, in Barnhisel, R.I., ed., Proceedings of the 2012 National Meeting of the American Society of Mining and Reclamation, Sustainable Reclamation, June 8–15, 2012, Tupelo, MS, p. 500-519.
- Liu, X., and Pavlis, G.L. (2013). Appraising the reliability of converted wavefield imaging; application to USArray imaging of the 410–km discontinuity. Geophysical Journal International 192/(3), p. 1240–1254. DOI
- Pavlis, G.L., K. Sigloch, S. Burdick, M. Fouch, F.L. Vernon (2012). Unraveling the geometry of the Farallon Plate: Synthesis of three–dimensional imaging results from USArray. Tectonophysics *532–535*, p. 82–12. DOI
- *Pavlis, G.L. (2011) Three–dimensional wavefield imaging of broadband seismic array data. Computers and Geosciences 37, p. 1054–1066. DOI
- *Pavlis, G.L. (2011) Three–dimensional wavefield imaging of data from the USArray: New constraints on the geometry of the Farallon slab/ Geosphere 7, p. 785–801.
- *Hamburger, M.W., K. Shoemaker, S. Horton, H. DeShon, M. Withers, G. L. Pavlis, E. Sherrill (2011). Aftershocks of the 2008 Mt. Carmel, Illinois, earthquake; evidence for conjugate faulting near the termination of the Wabash Valley fault system. Seism. Res. Lett. 82(85), p. 735–747.
- *Morozov, I. and G.L. Pavlis (2011). Management of large seismic datasets: I. Automated building and updating using BREQ_FAST and NetDC. Seism. Res. Lett. 82(2), p. 211–221.
- *Morozov, I. and G.L. Pavlis (2011). Management of large seismic datasets: II. Data center type operations. Seism. Res. Lett. 82(2), p. 222–226.
- *Anchieta, M.C., C.J. Wolfe, G.L. Pavlis, F.L. Vernon, J. Eakins, S.C. Solomon, G. Laske, J. A. Collins (2011). Seismicity around the Hawaiian Islands recorded by the plume seismometer networks; insights into faulting near Maui, Molokai, and Oahu. Bull. Seism. Soc. Amer. 101(4), p. 1742–1758.
Complete list (PDF)
- Goswami, A., J.B. Smaers, C. Soligo, and P.D. Polly. 2014. The macroevolutionary consequences of phenotypic integration: from development to deep time. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 369: 20130254. DOI
- Polly, P.D. and S. Sarwar. 2014. Extinction, extirpation, and exotics: effects on the correlation between traits and environment at the continental level. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 51: 209-226.
- Gómez-Robles, A., J.M. Bermúdez de Castro, J.-L. Arsuaga, E. Carbonell, and P.D. Polly. 2013. No known hominin species matches the expected dental morphology of the last common ancestor of Neanderthals and modern humans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, DOI
- Rõdder D., A.M. Lawing, M. Flecks, F. Ahmadzadeh, J. Dambach, J.O. Engler, J.C. Habel, T. Hartmann, D. Hõrnes, F. Ihlow, K. Schidelko, D. Stiels, and P.D. Polly. 2013 Evaluating the Significance of Paleophylogeographic Species Distribution Models in Reconstructing Quaternary Range-Shifts of Nearctic Chelonians. PLoS ONE 8(10): e72855. DOI
- Grossnickle, D.M. and P.D. Polly. 2013. Mammal disparity decreases during the Cretaceous angiosperm radiation. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B, 280 DOI
- Cardini, A. and P.D. Polly. 2013. Larger mammals have longer faces because of size-related constraints on skull form. Nature Communications, 4, art. 2458: 1-7.
- Polly, P.D., A.V. Polyakov, V.B. Ilyashenko, S.S. Onischenko, T.A. White, N.S. Bulatova, S. Pavlova, P.M. Borodin, and J.B. Searle. 2013. Phenotypic variation across chromosomal hybrid zones of the Common shrew (Sorex araneus) indicates reduced gene flow. PLoS One, 8(7): e67455. DOI
- Polly, P.D. 2013. Evolution: Stuck between the teeth. Nature, 497: 325–326. DOI
- Polly, P.D., A.M. Lawing, A.-C. Fabre, and A. Goswami. 2013. Phylogenetic principal components analysis and geometric morphometrics. Hystrix, 24: 1-9.
- Smith, M.R. and P.D. Polly. 2013. A reevaluation of the Harrodsburg Crevice Fauna (Late Pleistocene of Indiana, USA) and the climatic implication of its mammals. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 33: 410-420.
- Uhen, M.D., A.D. Barnosky, B. Bills, J. Blois, M.T. Carrano, M.A. Carrasco, G.M. Erickson, J.T. Eronen, M. Fortelius, R.W. Graham, E.C. Grimm, M.A. O’Leary, A. Mast, W.H. Piel, P.D. Polly, and L.K. Sãilã. 2013. From card catalogs to computers: databases in vertebrate paleontology. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 33: 13-28.
- Topalov, K., A. Schimmelmann, P.D. Polly, P.E. Sauer, and M. Lowry. 2013. Environmental, trophic, and ecological factors influencing bone collagen d2H. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 111: 88-104.
- Goswami, A., P.D. Polly, O.B. Mock, and M.R. Sánchez Villagra. 2012. Shape, variance, and integration during craniogenesis: contrasting marsupial and placental mammals. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 862-872.
- Lawing, A.M., J.J. Head, and P.D. Polly. 2012. The ecology of morphology: the ecometrics of locomotion and macroenvironment in North American snakes. Pp. 117-146 in J. Louys (ed), Paleontology in Ecology and Conservation. Springer-Verlag, Berlin and Heidelberg DOI
- Lawing, A.M., J.M. Meik, and P.D. Polly. 2012. Climate and competition shape species borders: a study of Panamint (Crotalus stephensi) and Speckled (Crotalus mitchellii) Rattlesnakes. ISRN Zoology, 528745: 1-6.
- Gómez-Robles, A. and P.D. Polly. 2012. Morphological integration in the hominin dentition: evolutionary, developmental, and functional factors. Evolution, 66: 1024-1043. DOI
- Topalov, K., A. Schimmelmann, P.D. Polly, and P.E. Sauer. 2012. Stable isotopes applications in bone collagen, with emphasis on deuterium/hydrogen ratios. Pp. 141-162 In C.J.R. Verbeek (ed), Products and Applications of Biopolymers. InTech: Rijeka, Croatia.
- Polly, P.D. 2012. Measuring the evolution of body size in mammals. PNAS, 109: 4027-4028. DOI
- Polly, P. D. 2012. Movement adds bite to the evolutionary morphology of mammalian teeth. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 10: 69, 1-3.
- Lawing, A.M. and P.D. Polly. 2011. Pleistocene climate, phylogeny, and climate envelope models: an integrative approach to better understand species' response to climate change. PLoS ONE, 16: e28554
- Polly, P.D., J.T. Eronen, M. Fred, G.P. Dietl, V. Mosbrugger, C. Scheidegger, D.C. Frank, J. Damuth, N.C. Stenseth and M. Fortelius. 2011. History matters: ecometrics and integrative climate change biology. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 278: 1121-1130. doi:10.1098/rspb.2010.2233
- Polly, P.D. and J.T. Eronen. 2011. Mammal associations in the Pleistocene of Britain: implications of ecological niche modelling and a method for reconstrucing palaeoclimate. Pp. 279-304 in N. Ashton, S. G. Lewis, and C. Stringer (eds.), The Ancient Human Occupation of Britain. Elsevier.
- Polly, P.D. and C.B. Stringer. 2011. The Ancient Human Occupation of Britain (AHOB) Database. In R. Macchiarelli and G-C. Weniger (ed.) Pleistocene Databases: Acquisition, Storing, Sharing. Wissenschaftliche Schriften des Neanderthal Museums, 4: 51-60.
- Polly, P.D., L. Killick, M. Ruddy. 2011. Using left-right asymmetry to estimate non-genetic variability in vole teeth (Arvicolinae, Muridae, Rodentia). Palaeontologia Electronica, 14.3.41A.
- Johnson, L.J., J.A. Cotton, C.P. Lichtenstein, G.S. Elgar, R.A. Nichols, P.D. Polly, and S.C. Le Comber. 2011. Stops making sense: translational trade-offs and stop codon reassignment. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 11: 227. DOI
- Bose, R., C. L. Schneider, L. R. Leighton, and P. D. Polly. 2011. Influence of atrypid morphological shape on Devonian episkeletobiont assemblages from the lower Genshaw Formation of the Traverse Group of Michigan: a geometric morphometric approach. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 310: 427-441.
- Ksepka, D.T., M.J. Benton, M.T.Carrano, M.A. Gandolfo, J.J. Head, E.J. Hermsen, W.G. Joyce, K.S. Lamm, J.S.L. Patané, M.J. Phillips, P.D. Polly, J.L. Ware, R.C.M. Warnock, M. van Tuinen, and J.F. Parham. 2011. Synthesizing and databasing fossil calibrations: divergence dating and beyond. Biology Letters, DOI
- Prentice, M.L. and S. Glidden, 2010, Glacier crippling and the rise of the snowline in western New Guinea (Papua Province, Indonesia) from 1972 to 2000. In Haberle, S., Stevenson, J., Prebble, M., (eds.), Altered Ecologies: Fire, climate and human influence on terrestrial landscapes, Terra Australis, 32, ANU EPress, Canberra, pp. 457-471.
- Prentice, M.L., Hope, G.S., Peterson, J.A., Barrows, T.T., in press, The glaciation of the southeast Asian equatorial region. In: Ehlers, J.J. and Gibbard, P.L. (eds.), Quaternary Glaciations- Extent and Chronology PART IV- A Closer Look. Elsevier.
- Thakurta, J, Ripley, EM, and Li, C (in press) Platinum group element geochemistry of sulfide-rich horizons in the Ural-Alaskan type ultramafic complex of Duke Island, southeastern Alaska. Economic Geology.
- Stifter, EC, Ripley , EM, Li, C (in press) Silicate melt removal and sulfide liquid retention in ultramafic rocks of the Duke Island Complex, Southeastern Alaska. Mineralogy and Petrology.
- Donoghue, K.A., Ripley, EM, and Li, C. (2014) Sulfur isotope and mineralogical studies of Ni-Cu sulfide mineralization in the Bovine Igneous Complex (BIC Intrusion), Baraga Basin, Northern Michigan. Economic Geology 109, 325-341.
- Ripley, EM (2014) Ni - Cu - PGE mineralization in the Partridge River, South Kawishiwi and Eagle Intrusions; A Review of Contrasting Styles of Sulfide -Rich Occurrences in the Midcontinent Rift System. Economic Geology 109, 309-324.
- Ripley, EM and Li, C. (2013) Sulfide saturation in mafic magmas: Is external Sulfur required for magmatic Ni-Cu-(PGE) ore genesis? Economic Geology 108, 45-58.
- Li C, Ripley EM, Thakurta J, Stifter EC, and Qi L (2013) Variations of olivine Fo-Ni contents and highly chalcophile element abundances in arc ultramafic cumulates, southern Alaska. Chemical Geology 351, 15–28.
- Peng R, Zhai Y, Li C, and Ripley EM (2013) The Erbutu Ni-Cu deposit in the Central Asian Orogenic Belt: a Permian magmatic sulfide deposit related to boninitic magmatism in an arc setting. Economic Geology 108, 1879–1888.
- Li, C., Thakurta, J. and Ripley, EM (2012) Low-Ca contents and kink-banded textures are not unique to mantle olivine: evidence from the Duke Island Complex, Alaska. Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 104, p. 147-153. DOI.
- Li G, Li C, Ripley EM, Kamo S, Su S (2012) Geochronology, petrology and geochemistry of the Nanlinshan and Banpo mafic-ultramafic intrusions: implications for subduction initiation in the eastern Palaeo-Tethys. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 164, 773–788.
- Li C, Tao Y, Qi L, and Ripley EM (2012) Controls on PGE fractionation in the Emeishan picrites and basalts: constraints from integrated lithophile-siderophile elements and Sr-Nd isotopes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 90, 12–32.
- Ding X, Ripley EM, Shirey SB, and Li C, (2012) Os, Nd, O and S isotope constraints on country rock contamination in the conduit related Eagle Cu-Ni-(PGE) deposit, Midcontinent Rift System, Upper Michigan. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 89, 10–30.
- Ding X, Ripley EM, and Li C (2012) PGE Geochemistry of the Eagle magmatic sulfide deposit, upper Michigan: Constraints on ore genesis in a dynamic magma conduit. Mineralium Deposita 47, 89-104.
- Górka, M., P.E. Sauer, D. Lewicka–Szczebak, and M.–O. Jedrysek (2011) Carbon isotope signature of dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC) in precipitation and atmospheric CO2. Environmental Pollution 159, 294–301. DOI
- Gröcke, D. R., van Hardenbroek, M., Sauer, P., and Elias, S., 2011. Hydrogen Isotopes in Beetle Chitin. In: Gupta, S. N. (Ed.), Chitin: formation and diagenesis. Springer.
- Lis, G. P. and Sauer, P. E., 2010. Ranges of hydrogen isotope ratios in natural materials. In: Beauchemin, D. and Matthews, D. E. (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 5. Elsevier.
- Schieber, J., Southard, J.B., Kissling, P., Rossman, B., and Ginsburg, R., 2013, Experimental Deposition of Carbonate Mud From Moving Suspensions: Importance of Flocculation and Implications For Modern and Ancient Carbonate Mud Deposition. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 83, p. 1025-1031.
- Bickford, M.E., Saha, D., Kamenov, G., Russell, A., and Basu, A., 2013, New U-Pb Ages of Zircons in the Owk Shale (Kurnool Group) with Reflections on Proterozoic Porcellanites in India. Journal Geological Society of India, v. 82, p.207-216. DOI
- Minitti, M.E., Kah, L.C., Yingst, R.A., Edgett, K.S., Anderson, R.C., Beegle, L.W., Carsten, J.L., Deen, R.G., Goetz, W., Hardgrove, C., Harker, D.E., Herkenhoff, K.E., Hurowitz, J.A., Jandura, L., Kennedy, M.R., Kocurek, G., Krezoski, G.M., Kuhn, S.R., Limonadi, D., Lipkaman, L., Madsen, M.B., Olson, T.S., Robinson, M.L., Rowland, S.K., Rubin, D.M., Seybold, C., Schieber, J., Schmidt, M., Sumner, D.Y., Tompkins, D.V., Van Beek, J.K., Van Beek, T., 2013, MAHLI at the Rocknest sand shadow: Science and science-enabling activities, J. Geophys. Res. Planets, 118, 2338-2360.
- Grotzinger, J.P., Sumner, D.Y., Kah, L.C., Stack, K., Gupta, S., Edgar, L., Rubin, D., Lewis, K., Schieber, J., Mangold, N., Milliken, R., Conrad, P.G., DesMarais, D., Farmer, J., Siebach, K., Calef, F., Hurowitz, J., McLennan, S.M., Ming, D., Vaniman, D., Crisp, J., Vasavada, A., Edgett, K.S., Malin, M., Blake, D., Gellert, R., Mahaffy, P., Wiens, R.C., Maurice, S., Grant, J.A., Wilson, S., Anderson, R.C., Beegle, R., Arvidson, R., Hallet, B., Sletten, R.S., Rice, M., Bell, J., Griffes, J., Ehlmann, B., Anderson, R.B., Bristow, D.F., Dietrich, W.E., Dromart, G., Eigenbrode, J., Fraeman, A., Hardgrove, C., Herkenhoff, K., Jandura, L., Kocurek, G., Lee, S., Leshin, L.A., Leveille, R., Limonadi, D., Maki, S., McCloskey, S., Meyer, M., Minitti, M., Newsom, H., Oehler, D., Okon, A., Palucis, M., Parker, T., Rowland, S., Schmidt, M., Squyres, S., Steele, A., Stolper, E., Summons, R., Treiman, A., Williams, R., Yingst, A., and The MSL Science Team, 2013, A Habitable Fluvio-Lacustrine Environment at Yellowknife Bay, Gale Crater, Mars. Science, 9 December 2013, p. 1-18.
- Basu, A., Schieber, J., Patranabis–Deb, S., and Dhang, P.C., 2013, Recycled detrital quartz grains are sedimentary rock fragments indicating unconformities: examples from the Chhattisgarh Supergroup, Bastar craton, India. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 83, pp. 368–376. DOI
- Mukherjee, A., Marion E. Bickford, M.E., Hietpas, J., Schieber, J. and Basu, A. 2012, Implications of a Newly Dated ca. 1000-Ma Rhyolitic Tuff in the Indravati Basin, Bastar Craton, India. Journal of Geology, v. 120, pp. 477-485 DOI
- K.S. Edgett, R.A. Yingst, M.A. Ravine, M.A. Caplinger, J.N. Maki, F.T. Ghaemi, J.A. Schaffner, J.F. Bell III, L.J. Edwards, K.E. Herkenhoff, E. Heydari, L.C. Kah, M.T. Lemmon, M.E. Minitti, T.S. Olson, T.J. Parker, S.K. Rowland, J. Schieber, R.J. Sullivan, D.Y. Sumner, P.C. Thomas, E.H. Jensen, J.J. Simmonds, A.J. Sengstacken, R.G. Willson, W. Goetz, 2012, Curiosity’s Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) Investigation. Space Sci Rev., v. 170, p. 259-317. DOI
- Roden, E.E., McBeth, J.M., Blöthe, M., Percak-Dennett, E.M., Fleming, E.J., Holyoke, R.R., Luther, G.W., Emerson, D., and Schieber, J., 2012, The microbial ferrous wheel in a neutral pH groundwater seep. Frontiers in Microbiology, v. 3., p. 1-18.
- Chakraborty, A., Roden, E.E., Schieber, J., and Picardal, F., 2011, Enhanced Growth of Acidovorax sp. Strain 2AN during Nitrate-Dependent Fe(II) Oxidation in Batch and Continuous-Flow Systems. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, v. 77, p. 8548-8556.
- Bickford M.E., A. Basu, A. Mukherjee, J. Hietpas, J. Schieber, S. Patranabis-Deb, R. Ray, R. Guhey, P. Bhattacharya, and P. Dhang, 2011. New U-Pb SHRIMP Zircon Ages of Tuffs in the Mesoproterozoic Chhattisgarh Basin, Peninsular India: The Significance of a 1 Ga Thermal-Magmatic Event. Journal of Geology, v. 119, p. 535-548. DOI
- Schieber, J., 2011, Marcasite in Black Shales—a Mineral Proxy for Oxygenated Bottom Waters and Intermittent Oxidation of Carbonaceous Muds. Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 81, p. 447-458.Link
- Picardal, F.W., Zaybak, Z., Chakraborty, A., Schieber, J., and Szewzyk, U., 2011, Microaerophilic, Fe(II)-dependent growth and Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechlorospirillum species. FEMS Microbiology Letters, v. 319, p. 51-57.
- Schieber, J., 2011, Reverse Engineering Mother Nature – Shale Sedimentology from an Experimental Perspective. Sedimentary Geology, v. 238, p. 1-22.
- Regberg, A., K. Singha, M. Tien, F. Picardal, Q. Zheng, J. Schieber, E. Roden, and S. L. Brantley (2011), Electrical conductivity as an indicator of iron reduction rates in abiotic and biotic systems, Water Resour. Res., 47, W04509. DOI
- Bickford, M.E., Basu, A., Patranabis-Deb, S., Dhang, P.C., and Schieber, J., 2011, Depositional History of the Chhattisgarh Basin, Central India: Constraints from New SHRIMP Zircon Ages. The Journal of Geology, v. 119, p. 33-50.
- Holman, A.I., K. Grice, C.M.B. Jaraula, and A. Schimmelmann (2014) Bitumen II from the Paleoproterozoic Here’s Your Chance Pb/Zn/Ag deposit: Implications for the analysis of depositional environment and thermal maturity of hydrothermally-altered sediments. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 139, 98-109. DOI
- Gao, L., M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann (2014) The origin of coalbed methane. In: P. Thakur, S. Schatzel, and K. Aminian (Eds.) Coal Bed Methane: From Prospect to Pipeline. Chapter 2, p. 7-29, Elsevier. DOI
- Furmann, A., M. Mastalerz, A. Schimmelmann, P. Kent Pedersen, and D. Bish (2014) Relationships between porosity, organic matter, and mineral matter in mature organic-rich marine mudstones of the Belle Fourche and Second White Specks formations in Alberta, Canada. Marine and Petroleum Geology 54, 65-81. DOI
- Gao, L., A. Schimmelmann, Y. Tang, and M. Mastalerz (2014) Isotope rollover in shale gas observed in laboratory pyrolysis experiments: Insight to the role of water in thermogenesis of mature gas. Organic Geochemistry 68, 95-106. DOI
- Stolper, D.A., A.L. Sessions, A.A. Ferreira, E.V. Santos Neto, A. Schimmelmann, S.S. Shusta, D.L. Valentine, and J.M. Eiler (2014) Combined 13C-D and D-D clumping in methane: Methods and preliminary results. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 136, 169-191. DOI
- Unkel, I., A. Schimmelmann, C. Shriner, J. Forsén, C. Heymann, and H. Brückner (2014) The environmental history of the last 6500 years in the Asea Valley (Peloponnese, Greece) and its linkage to the local archaeological record. Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie, Supplementary Issue "Progress in Geoarchaeology", 58 (2). DOI
- Chen, Y., A. Furmann, M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann (2014) Quantitative analysis of shales by KBr-FTIR and micro-FTIR. Fuel 116, 538–549. DOI
- Mastalerz, M., A. Schimmelmann, A. Drobniak, and Y. Chen (2013) Porosity of Devonian and Mississippian New Albany Shale across a maturation gradient: Insights from organic petrology, gas adsorption, and mercury intrusion. AAAP Bulletin 97 (10), 1621–1643. DOI
- Schimmelmann, A., I.L. Hendy, L. Dunn, D.K. Pak, and C.B. Lange (2013) Revised ~2,000-year chronostratigraphy of partially varved marine sediment in Santa Barbara Basin, California. GFF (special issue "Varve Genesis, Chronology and Paleoclimate") 135 (3-4), 258-264. DOI
- Bennett, R., J. Schieber, A. Schimmelmann, M. Hulbert, K. Curry, J. Douglas, A. Head, and A. Curry (2013) Sequestration of organic matter in marine mud: Flume experiments, biogeochemistry, mass physical properties, and 3-D modeling. GCSSEPM Foundation Bob F. Perkins Research Conference, 2012 Proceedings "New Understanding of the Petroleum Systems of Continental Margins of the World", 761-778. website
- Etiope, G., A. Drobniak, and A. Schimmelmann (2013) Natural seepage of shale gas and the origin of “eternal flames” in the Northern Appalachian Basin, USA. Marine and Petroleum Geology 43, 178-186. DOI
- Topalov, K., A. Schimmelmann, P.D. Polly, P.E. Sauer, and Mark Lowry (2013) Environmental, trophic, and ecological factors influencing bone collagen d2H. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 111, 88-104. DOI
- Furmann, A., M. Mastalerz, S.C. Brassell, A. Schimmelmann, and F. Picardal (2013) Extractability of biomarkers from high- and low-vitrinite coals and its effect on the porosity of coal. International Journal of Coal Geology 107, 141-151. DOI
- Gao, L., S.C. Brassell, M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann (2013) Microbial degradation of sedimentary organic matter associated with shale gas and coalbed methane in eastern Illinois Basin (Indiana), USA. International Journal of Coal Geology 107, 152-164. DOI
- Furmann, A., A. Schimmelmann, S.C. Brassell, M. Mastalerz, and F. Picardal (2013) Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal. Chemical Geology 339, 226-241. DOI
- Hendy, I.L., L. Dunn, A. Schimmelmann, and D.K. Pak (2013) Resolving varve and radiocarbon chronology differences during the last 2000 years in the Santa Barbara Basin sedimentary record, California. Quaternary International 310, 155-168. DOI
- Cao, X., M.A. Chappell, A. Schimmelmann, M. Mastalerz, Y. Li, W. Hu, and J. Mao (2013) Chemical structure changes in kerogen from bituminous coal in response to dike intrusions as investigated by advanced solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy. International Journal of Coal Geology 108, 53-64. DOI
- Chen, Y., L.D. Caro, M. Mastalerz, A. Schimmelmann, and A. Blandón (2013) Mapping the chemistry of resinite, funginite and associated vitrinite in coal with micro-FTIR. Journal of Microscopy 249 (1), 69-81. DOI
- Zolitschka, B., P. Francus, A.E.K. Ojala, and A. Schimmelmann (2012) Deciphering climatic and environmental signals from varved sediments by applying process-related studies. 3rd Workshop of the PAGES Varves Working Group, Manderscheid, Germany, March 20-25, 2012. PAGES news 20 (2), 95. PDF
- Mastalerz, M., A. Schimmelmann, G.P. Lis, A. Drobniak, and A. Stankiewicz (2012) Influence of maceral composition on geochemical characteristics of immature shale kerogen: Insight from density fraction analysis. International Journal of Coal Geology 103, 60-69. DOI
- Holman, A.I., K. Grice, C.M.B. Jaraula, A. Schimmelmann, and J.J. Brocks (2012) Efficiency of extraction of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from the Paleoproterozoic Here’s Your Chance Pb/Zn/Ag ore deposit and implications for a study of Bitumen II. Organic Geochemistry 52, 81-87. DOI
- Schimmelmann, A. (2012) Varve master reference list, compiled for the PAGES Varve Working Group (VWG), containing more than 1200 references with available electronic links. PDF
- Ferreira, A.A., E.V. Santos Neto, A.L. Sessions, A. Schimmelmann, and F.R. Aquino Neto (2012) 2H/1H ratio of hopanes, tricyclic and tetracyclic terpanes in oils and source rocks from the Potiguar Basin, Brazil. Organic Geochemistry 51, 13-16. DOI
- Chen, Y., M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann (2012) Characterization of chemical functional groups in macerals across different coal ranks via micro-FTIR spectroscopy. International Journal of Coal Geology 104, 22-33. DOI
- Schimmelmann, A., and M. Mastalerz (2012) Significance of Isotopically Labile Organic Hydrogen in Thermal Maturation of Organic Matter. Technical final report published at this website by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Schimmelmann, A. (2012) Citation for presentation of the 2008 Alfred Treibs Award to Martin Schoell. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 89, 318–319. DOI
- Brittain, R.A., A. Schimmelmann, D.F. Parkhurst, and C.B. Craft (2012) Habitat use by coastal birds inferred from stable carbon and nitrogen isotopes. Estuaries and Coasts 35 (2), 633–645. DOI
- Topalov, K., A. Schimmelmann, P.D. Polly, and P.E. Sauer (2012) Stable isotope applications in bone collagen with emphasis on deuterium/hydrogen ratios. In: Biopolymers, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia. ISBN 979-953-307-229-5. Open access to PDF
- Shriner, C.M., E.R. Elswick, E.M. Ripley, A. Schimmelmann, and H.H. Murray (2012) Natural environment as a determinative factor in Early Helladic cultural change on the Argive Plain. In: The Early Helladic Peloponnesos, Helike IV, D. Katsonopoulou, Ed.; Helike Society, Athens, Greece, pp. 233-247.
- Elsner, M., M.A. Jochmann, T.B. Hofstetter, D. Hunkeler, A. Bernstein, T.C. Schmidt, and A. Schimmelmann (2012) Current challenges in compound-specific stable isotope analysis of environmental organic contaminants. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 403 (9), 2417-2491. DOI
- Schimmelmann, A. (2011) Carbon, nitrogen and oxygen stable isotope ratios in chitin. In: (S.N. Gupta, Ed.) Chitin: Formation and Diagenesis. Springer Series: Topics in Geobiology, Vol. 34, 390 p., pp. 81-103. ISBN: 978-90-481-9683-8. website
- Spivak–Birndorf, L.J. and Wasylenki, L.E. (submitted, May 2014) Ni isotope fractionation during continental weathering. Earth and Planetary Science Letters.
- Wasylenki, L.E., Swihart, J.W., and Romaniello, S.J. (2014) Cadmium isotope fractionation during adsorption to Mn oxyhydroxide at low and high ionic strength. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 140, 212-226.
- Maus, M., Beeker, C., Wasylenki, L., and Johnson, C.C. (2014) Preliminary Analysis of Columbus-era Wrought iron: Caballo Blanco, Dominican Republic. Proceedings of the Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology.
- Wasylenki, L.E. (2012) Establishing the basis for using metal isotopes as paleoproxies. In: Isotopic analysis–fundamentals and applications using ICP–MS. Eds. F. Vanhaecke and P. Degryse. Wiley–VCH.
- Nielsen, S. Wasylenki, L.E., Rehkamper, M., Peacock, C.L., Xue, Z., and Moon, E.M. (2013). Towards an understanding of thallium isotope fractionation during adsorption to manganese oxides. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 117, 252-265.
- Herrmann, A.D., Kendall, B., Algeo, T.J., Gordon, G.W., Wasylenki, L.E., , and Anbar, A.D. (2012) Anomalous molybdenum isotope trends in Upper Pennsylvanian euxinic facies: Significance for use of δMo98 as a global marine redox proxy. Chemical Geology 324, 87-98.
- Wasylenki, L.E. (2012) Establishing the basis for using metal isotopes as paleoproxies. In: Isotopic analysis-fundamentals and applications using ICP–MS. Eds. F. Vanhaecke and P. Degryse. Wiley-VCH.
- Wasylenki, L.E., Weeks, C.L., Bargar, J.R., Spiro, T.G., Hein, J., and Anbar, A.D. (2011) The molecular mechanism of Mo isotope fractionation during adsorption to birnessite. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta. 75:5019-5031.
- Brennecka, G.A., Wasylenki, L.E., Bargar, J.R., Weyer, S., and Anbar, A.D. (2011) Uranium isotope fractionation during adsorption to Mn–oxyhydroxides. Environ. Sci and Tech. 45:1370-1375.
- Wintsch, R.P., Aleinikoff, J.N., Walsh, G.J., Bothner, W.A., Hussey, A.M., II., and Fanning, C. M., (2007) SHRIMP U-Pb evidence for a Late Silurian age of metasedimentary rocks in the Merrimack and Putnam-Nashoba Terranes, eastern New England: Am. J. Sci. 307, pp.119–167. (peer reviewed)
- Aleinikoff, J.N., Wintsch, R.P., Tollo, R. P., and Unruh, D.M., Fanning, C.M., and Schmitz, M. D. (2007), Ages and origins of rocks of the Killingworth Dome, south central Connecticut; implications for the tectonic evolution of southern New England: Am. J. Sci. 307, pp.63–118. (peer reviewed)
- McWilliams, C.K., Wintsch, R. P., and Kunk, M.J. (2007), Scales of equilibrium and disequilibrium during cleavage formation in chlorite and biotite grade phyllites, SE Vermont: J. Metamorphic Geology 25, 895–913. (peer reviewed)
- Walsh, G.J., Aleinikoff, J.N., and Wintsch, R.P., 2007, Origin of the Lyme Dome and implications for the timing of multiple Alleghanian deformational and intrusive events in southern Connecticut: Am. J. Sci. 307 pp.168–215. (peer reviewed)
- Wang, Guo-Can, Wintsch, R.P., Garver, J. I., Roden-Tice, M., Chen, She-Fa, Zhang, Ke-Xin, Lin, Qi-Xiang, Zhu, Yun-Hai, Xiang, Shu-Yuan, and De-Wei Li, 2009, Provenance and thermal history of the Bayan Har Group in the western-central Songpan–Ganzi–Bayan Har terrane: implications for tectonic evolution of the northern Tibetan Plateau: The Island Arc, in press.
- Dorais, M.J.,. Wintsch, R.P.,. Nelson< W.R., Tubrett, M., Insights into the Acadian orogeny, New England Appalachians: A provenance study of the Carrabasset Formation, Central Maine basin: Atlantic Geology, in press.
Approved for Publication by the U.S. Geological Survey
- Wintsch, R. P. Kunk, M. J., Mulvey, B. K., Southworth, C. S., 2008, Dating Multiple cleavages in the lower greenschist facies rocks: an application of the 40Ar/39Ar age spectrum method to the tectonic assemblage of the Westminster terraen in the Piedmont of Maryland, USA. To be submitted to the GSA Bull. [submitted to and authorized for publication by the Director of the USGS]
- Wintsch, Robert P. (2007) Preface: John Rodgers memorial issue; Part I: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.1, January, pp. ix–xii, (peer reviewed)
- Wintsch, Robert P. (2007) John Rodgers memorial issue; Part I: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.1, January, pp.1–310. (peer reviewed)
- Wintsch, Robert (2007) John Rodgers memorial issue, Part II: American Journal of Science, vol.307, no.2, February, pp.311–553 (peer reviewed)
- Ji, X. and Zhu C. A SAFT Equation of State for the Quaternary H2S-CO2-H2O-NaCl system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Ji, X. and Zhu C. Predicting possible effects of H2S impurity on CO2 transportation and geological storage. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Zhu, C. G. Rehrey, B. Treadwell, C. C. Johnson, Looking Back to Move Ahead: How Students Learn Deep Geological Time by Predicting Future Environmental Impacts. Journal of College Science Teaching 41(3), 61-66.
- Liu, Y., P. Lu, C. Griffith, Y. Soong, S.W. Hedges, Hellevang, H., and C. Zhu. CO2-caprock-brine interaction: Reactivity experiments on Eau Claire Shale and a review of literature. The International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. (7)153–167, DOI
- Lu, P., Fu, Q., Seyfried Jr., W.E., Jones, K., and Zhu, C., Coupled alkali feldspar dissolution and secondary mineral precipitation in batch systems: 2. Effects of CO2 and implications for carbon sequestration. Applied Geochemistry
- Zhu, C. (2011) Current Status of Geochemical Modeling. In Environmental and Geological Studies, Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, Robert A. Meyers (Ed.), Springer. DOI
- Zhu, C. and FW Schwartz, Hydrogeochemical processes and their controls – influence on water quality and water management. Elements v. 7 (3), 169-174. (June 2011). [This material is partly based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. EAR0809903]
- Oelkers, OH, Hering, J, Zhu, C. Water: Is there a global crisis. Elements v. 7 (3), 157-162, (June 2011)
- Zhu, C. The globalization of Chinese geosciences: A threat or an opportunity? Elements 7 (6), 368-367, December 2011.
- Lu, P., N. T. Nuhfer, S. Kelly, Q. Li, H. Konishi, Erika Elswick, A. Schimmelmann, C. Zhu. Pb2+ coprecipitation with iron oxyhydroxide nano-particles. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta v.75, 4527-4621, DOI
- Liu, Faye (Yifei), P. Lu, C. Zhu, Y. Xiao (2011), Coupled reactive transport modeling of CO2 Sequestration in the Mt. Simon Sandstone Formation, Midwest U.S.A. The International Journal of Green House Gas Control, v.52 (2), 294-307. DOI
- Lu P. and Zhu C. (2011) Arsenic Eh-pH Diagrams at 25°C and 1 bar. Environmental Earth Sciences,v 62(8), 1673-1683. DOI [This material is partly based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. EAR0809903]
- Lu, P, Fu, Q., Seyfried, W.E. Jr, Hereford, A.G., Zhu, C. Navajo Sandstone-Brine-CO2 interaction: Implications for Geological Carbon Sequestration. Environmental Earth Sciences, 62(1), 101-118. DOI
- Su, W., Hongtao Zhang, Ruizhong Hu, Xi Ge, Bin Xia, Y. Chen, and C. Zhu, Mineralogy and geochemistry of gold-bearing arsenian pyrite from the Shuiyindong Carlin-type gold deposit, Guizhou, China: Implications for gold depositional processes. Mineralium Deposita.DOI
- Pham, V.T.H. , P. Lu, P. Aagaard, C. Zhu, H. Hellevang, On the potential of CO2-water-rock interactions for CO2 storage using a modified kinetic model. The International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. DOI