TEACHING & RESEARCH
Hydrogeology and Geochemistry
Professor of Geological Sciences
Adjunct Professor, Environmental Science
Adjunct Professor, Environmental Health
Office: MSBII 424
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Geochemical Modeling. Hydrogeochemistry and Water Resources. Kinetics and Thermodynamics of Chemical Reactions. Geological Carbon Sequestration (CCS).
CO2-Water-Rock Interactions, Geological Carbon sequestration, Aqueous geochemistry
I study the chemistry of water and its reactions with minerals and rocks. Through these reactions, water acquires chemical constituents and isotopic signatures. The chemical and isotopic signatures are useful to map the movement of fluid flow and allow us to calculate the in situ rates of chemical reactions under geological conditions. On a global scale, these chemical reactions are a key component of the interactions between the Earth’s hydrosphere, lithosphere, biosphere, and atmosphere. Many fundamental processes in Earth’s geological systems, such as chemical weathering, diagenesis, and the movement, distribution, and global cycling of chemical elements are related to these interactions. Please visit my research site for more information.
Awards and Honors
Fellow, Mineralogical Society of America, 2016-present
Fulbright Scholarship, 2009
The John Hem Excellence in Science and Engineering Award, National Ground Water Association, 2006
Lilly Freshman Learning Project Fellow (teaching), Indiana University, 2006
Fellow, Geological Society of America, 2005
Guest Professorship, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Switzerland, 2004
Senior Associateship Award, National Research Council, the National Academy of Sciences, 2003
Post-doctoral Fellowship, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Gilman Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University
J. Brian Eby Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University
Waters Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University
Bauernschmidt Fellowship, The Johns Hopkins University
H. V. Ellsworth Prize in Mineralogy, University of Toronto
for National and International Organizations
- Co-convener, "Geochemistry of Earth’s Surface-11," 2017, Guiyang, China.
- Associate Editor, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2005-present
- Member of editorial board, Chemical Geology, 2015 -
- Member of editorial board, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 2002-2006; 2008-present
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Acta Geologica Sinica, 2013-2018
- Member of editorial board, Acta Geochimica, 2014 -
- Co-guest editor, Dec 2017 issue of the Elements Magazine "The world of 800 ppm CO2."
- Co-guest editor, June 2011, v.7, No.3 issue of the Elements Magazine "Global Water Sustainability."
- Co-chair, Theme "Hydrogeochemistry," Goldschmidt Conference - the Annual Meeting of the Geochemical Society and European Association of Geochemists, August 16-21, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Co-chair, Scientific Committee, International Workshop "Frontiers in International Critical Zone Science" sponsored by National Natural Science Foundation of China, US NSF, UK Research Council, French CNRS, German Research Foundation (DFG), Beijing, China, 21-23 May 2014.
- Co-chair Theme 21 "Hydrogeochemistry and global sustainable water resources," Annual Goldschmidt Conference – the Annual Meeting of the Geochemical Society and European Association of Geochemists, August 14 – 18, 2001, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Member, Finance Committee, The Geochemical Society, 2014-
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee, International Association of GeoChemistry (IAGC), 2014-
for Indiana University and the Department of Geological Sciences
- Faculty chair, Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Sciences (2015-present. Click here to visit the BSES program)
- Colloquium Organizer (2012-2013)
- Chair, Curriculum Committee (2009-2010)
- Member, Owen Award Committee (2005-2006)