Indiana University Bloomington

Germanic Studies

Indiana University

Undergraduate Programs

Information for Majors and Minors

Please consult the Bulletin of the College of Arts and Sciences regarding degree requirements. College of Arts and Sciences Bulletin

The Major in German

Students majoring in German first complete as many beginning and/or intermediate language-skills courses as they need to achieve 300- level proficiency in the language. Students without previous study of German complete either the regular sequence G100-G150-G200-G250- G300 or the accelerated sequence G105-G200-G250-G300. (More information about the language-skills sequences is available.) Many students declaring a German major have placed out of one or more language-skills courses on the basis of an achievement or placement test score or transfer credit from another institution. (More information about placement and special credit is available.)

German Major Requirements:

Students must complete 30 credit hours in the major, including 26 credit hours of Germanic Studies courses at the 300 and 400 level. At least 20 credit hours must be in courses taught in German; a minimum of 12 of these 20 credit hours must be at the 400 level.

Students must also complete the degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences

German majors must also complete the general baccalaureate and B.A. degree requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences.

[Top of Page]

Double Major

A student enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences may complete the German major together with any other B.A. major program in the College. Many students majoring in German--in recent years half or more of all majors--complete a B.A. major in another department and receive a double-major B.A. degree. A double major is especially advantageous for students interested in the international aspects of such fields as:

political science
comparative literature

A double major combining German with another foreign language, with English, or with a science is highly advisable for students planning a high school teaching career. Triple majors are also possible!

Students completing an undergraduate degree in an IU division or school other than Arts and Sciences--such as business or music--who wish to complete an outside field in German should consult the director of undergraduate studies. Such students may also opt to complete a minor in German or Dutch.

[Top of Page]

Dual Bachelor's Degrees

Students completing a B.S. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences or a bachelor's degree in another IU undergraduate division or school may be eligible to complete a B.A. in Arts and Sciences with a major in German. Previously, students wishing to complete all requirements for two degrees - for example, for a B.S. in Biology and B.A. in German, or a B.S. from the Kelley School of Business or the School of Education and a B.A. in German - were required to take an additional 26 credits in the College of Arts and Sciences beyond those required for the first degree. New College requirements introduced in the summer of 2001 eliminated this requirement for students pursuing double degrees simultaneously. (Students who have already graduated but who wish to seek a degree in a second major must still complete a minimum of 26 College of Arts and Sciences hours in residence not counted towards the first degree.) You can obtain a handout explaining eligibility and all requirements in Kirkwood Hall 012.

[Top of Page]

The Minor in German, Dutch, Norwegian and Yiddish

Course Requirements for: German minor

Students must complete 15 credit hours of Germanic Studies course credit at the 300 and 400 level, including at least 12 credit hours in courses taught in German.

Course Requirements for: Dutch minor

Students must complete the following: N150, N200, N250

  • 9 additional credit hours chosen from the following: N300, N330, E341, E342, E343, FINA-A 437
  • Course Requirements for: Norwegian minor

    Students must complete the following: K150, K200, K250

  • 9 additional credit hours chosen from E361, E362, E363, or HIST B303/D300/CEUS R309 (approved topic: Mordern Scandinavia and the Baltic States)
  • Course Requirements for: Yiddish minor

    Students must complete the following: Y150, Y200, Y250

  • 9 additional credit hours chosen from GER E351/CMLT-C377, GER E352/CMLT-C378, GER Y495, or HIST D304
  • Appropriate course substitutions may be arranged for students with official advanced placement who enter the curriculum above the G300/N150 level. The director of undergraduate studies serves as adviser to all students completing a minor in German or Dutch. Completion of the minor is recorded on the student's permanent record and appears on official transcripts.

    [Top of Page]

    Minor in Germanic Studies

    Course Requirements for Minor in Germanic Studies:

    Students must complete 15 credit hours of Germanic Studies course credit at the 300 and 400 level. Courses may include 300-level English-language courses, as well as any course or courses taught in German, Dutch, Norwegian, or Yiddish at the 300400 level. Coursework may be entirely in English. No course taken in fulfillment of another major or minor in the department may be applied to the Minor in Germanic Studies.

    [Top of Page]

    Advising for Germanic Studies Majors and Minors

    The department's director of undergraduate studies advises all German majors. Majors are asked to confer with the director each semester before registering for the following semester. Of course, the director is available throughout the academic year to assist students in planning and carrying out their work in the German major.

    The director of undergraduate studies also advises students minoring in German or Dutch and other non-majors taking courses in the department.

    [Top of Page]

    Secondary Teacher Certification in German

    Students planning to obtain Indiana secondary teacher certification should:

    1. Familiarize themselves with pertinent parts of the undergraduate bulletin of the School of Education, and with its information sheets detailing general and professional education requirements for certification. Copies of the latter are available at:
      School of Education
      W.W. Wright Education Building
      201 North Rose Street, Room 1000
      Bloomington, IN 47405-1006
    2. Consult an adviser in the School of Education about certification requirements and the possibility of course substitutions. For general information, call (812) 856-8500.
    3. Confer with the Germanic Studies director of undergraduate studies about program requirements and course selection in German.

    [Top of Page]

    IU 1020 E. Kirkwood Ave. | Ballantine Hall 644 | Bloomington, IN 47405-7103 | Phone: (812) 855-1553 | Fax: (812) 855-8927 |
    Indiana University | IU Bloomington | College of Arts & Sciences | Germanic Studies | Privacy Notice
    Copyright 2015, The Trustees of Indiana University | Copyright Complaints | Last Updated: 09 December 2014