GIS Support and Technical Assistance
The following help and technical support resources are available to the Indiana University GIS community:
IU Knowledge Base
UITS staff maintain over 88 KB articles about GIS and remote sensing. This is the first source to search for answers regarding installing software, learning how to join tables in ArcGIS, bringing GPS points into your project, purchasing software or trouble-shooting software errors.
GIS Contacts by Department
These individuals actively use GIS software provided by UITS and may be able to provide support within their department.
Indiana University's Online Library Catalog provides access to free tutorials, training guides, software documentation, CDs, and DVDs. To locate GIS and remote sensing-related documentation and media, log into IUCAT, and then enter your search terms in the "keywords anywhere" field. For example, to see ERDAS information, enter
ERDAS. For ESRI information, enter
ArcGIS and related ESRI software help:
- ESRI Support Center - The best resource for questions about ArcGIS software. Enter your error message or the keywords of your problem in the search box. Look for answers in discussion forums, mailing lists, white papers, and help menus.
- ESRI Resource Center - Access to free ArcGIS Online standard services. These pages also provide access to blogs, methods, frequently asked questions, and tips about using ArcGIS and other ESRI products.
- ESRI Mapping Center - Learn how to make great looking maps by using professional cartographic concepts and techniques. Ask a cartographer for solution to your particular mapping challenges.
- ESRI PDF Tutorials - ArcGIS software tutorials give step-by-step instructions for learning how to perform data analysis functions.
- ESRI Virtual Campus Courses - Free self-study Virtual Campus courses authored exclusively by ESRI. Available only to IU staff, faculty and students.
- ESRI User Forums - A space for the GIS community of professionals to ask and answer focused questions; you can browse past discussions.
ERDAS IMAGINE and related ERDAS software:
- ERDAS Technical Support - ERDAS IMAGINE and LPS support
- ERDAS Product Information - Information about all ERDAS software products
- ERDAS Knowledgebase - Product technical articles
- ERDAS Email Discussion List - peer-to-peer help on ERDAS IMAGINE, LPS, ArcGIS extensions, geospatial imaging, and GIS issues.
GIS Discussion and Mailing Lists
The GIS Lounge provides a variety of forums and discussionlists for posting questions about GIS.
UITS GIS Services
The GIS Support staff within the Research Technologies Division of UITS provides support for GIS and remote sensing software across all IU campuses. Contact a GIS Support Specialist for technical support or questions about GIS software.