GPSG Social Hours and other GPSG events help build community within the graduate student community, and can be co-sponsored by graduate departments and/or organizations.
How do I know what is happening?
- Visit the GPSG Calendar page for an updated list of upcoming events.
- Subcribe to the GPSG Listserv to receive our weekly e-newsletter.
- “Like” us on Facebook to receive event invitations and see posts about other social events we promote on campus and around town.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates about events, meetings, and programs!
How can my organization sponsor a GPSG Social Hour?
- GPSG enjoys collaboration with existing graduate student organizations to facilitate networking among departments.
- Social events, such as the monthly GPSG Social Hours, are focused on strengthening the graduate student community in Bloomington and increasing awareness of resources available across campus. Sponsorship from various departments help to advertise each department and its programs through graduate students acting as informal promoters.
- It has been our experience that a department sponsoring an event increases the attendance from that particular department, and that these students keep attending future events as well. Even though these events are social in nature, discussions revolve mostly around academics, so we find them as great arenas for inter-departmental networking.
- Sponsorship typically range from $50 to $250. Funding is used primarily for venue or food expenses. While we will plan and market the event, sponsors are welcome to collaborate with us to choose the venue and food.
- There is a wide range in attendance numbers, depending on the type of event and the time it takes place. Most GPSG social hours are attended by approximately 75-100 graduate and professional students.
- If you are interested in sponsoring a social hour, please contact our Community Development Coordinator at email@example.com.