The GPSG Assembly discusses and votes on resolutions that seek to fairly represent the greater graduate student opinion on the IUB campus.
Resolutions are defined as “an official declaration approved by an Assembly vote, the core of which is a call for action directed toward GPSG, Indiana University, or any subdivision, employee, or director thereof.”
Brainstorm potential policies or initiatives that would benefit or fix current issues within the graduate and professional student community.
Determine if GPSG is the correct forum to present desired resolution and if GPSG will have the ability to put proposed resolution into action if passed in General Assembly.
Collect information on the current issue that best illustrates the need and/or desire for the proposed resolution. This will be used to help support the argument for the proposed resolution.
Devise a step-by-step plan determining who will need to be a part of the resolution’s creation as well as what actions need to be taken in order for the resolution to be put into place.
Complete a draft of the proposed resolution using the resolution template incorporating the phrases “Whereas,” which explains the current situation of the matter at hand and why it needs to be fixed, and “Therefore,” which addresses how the resolution will fix the current situation.
Turn in proposed resolution to the GPSG Executive Committee at least two weeks before the next General Assembly for revisions, which will assure the proposed resolution includes all of the necessary elements to be presented on the General Assembly floor.
One week before the resolution is scheduled to be presented at General Assembly, the proposed resolution will be sent to all representatives and posted on the GPSG website, newsletter, and social media accounts.
The people who created the proposed resolution will be given five minutes to present their resolution at General Assembly, followed by questions and discussion amongst representatives.
A majority of representatives must vote in favor of the proposed resolution.
- Follow up:
Contact the appropriate individuals or groups who should have been determined in the strategy step that will help put the resolution into action.
NOTE: GPSG’s Executive Committee is available to answer any questions or provide assistance during any and all of the resolution steps.
- Resolution in Support of Affordable, Accredited, Cooperative Childcare at IU
- Resolution to Reinstate a Centrally-Located Early Voting Satellite and/or Day-Of Polling Site to the Indiana University-Bloomington Campus
- Resolution Opposing the Taxation of Tuition Waivers
- Active Shooter Resolution [PDF]
- Alcohol Abuse Support Resolution [PDF]
- Joint Degree Tuition Evaluation Resolution [PDF]
- Real Food Challenge Resolution [PDF]
- Fighting Food Insecurity Resolution [PDF]
- Clarity Course Delivery Resolution [PDF]
- Transportation Safety and Infrastructure Resolution [PDF]
- The Wells Library Prayer Room Resolution[PDF]
- Denounce SB423 [PDF]
- Explicate IUPD Non-Compliance with ICE [PDF]
- Resolution to Protect Community Members [PDF]
- Family Leave Policies for Student Academic Appointees [PDF]
- Unpaid Leave of Absence Policies for Student Academic Appointees [PDF]
- Medical Leave Policies for Student Academic Appointees [PDF]
- Campus Safety and Responsibility Resolution (Attachment: Community Alert Template)
- Graduate Dining and Nutrition Resolution
- Graduate Health Expansion Resolution
- Resolution Regarding Campus Fitness Facilities
- Resolution Regarding Liability and Sanctions Concerning Sexual Misconduct
- Resolution Regarding Support for the Apartment Family Students’ Council (AFSC) E-Bus Compromise
- Sustainability Omnibus Resolution
- Reaffirmation of Commitment to Equality (RFRA) Resolution
- Resolution Regarding Sexual Assault Alerts
- 2015 Constitutional Amendment No 1
- Spousal ID Resolution
- Renewable Energy – Energy Accountability Resolution
- Constitutional Amendment No 5
- Constitutional Amendment No 4
- Resolution Regarding Graduate Student Carpool Parking Privileges
- Equitable Identification Card Resolution
- Religious and Cultural Observance Awareness Resolution
- Resolution to Reduce Printing-Related Resource Use
- 2014 Constitutional Amendment 3
- Bicycle Master Plan Resolution
- Fairness in Elections Act
- Fossil Fuel Divestment and Carbon Neutrality Resolution
- Freedom Indiana Support
- Inclusive Student Body Resolution
- Pay Schedule Resolution
- Preferred Name Resolution
- Proxy Reform Act
- Transparency in Voting Act
- UGS Dissertation Committee Resolution (December 2012)
- Safe Protest Zone Resolution (April 2012)
- Resolution on Public Safety and Transportation (October 2nd, 2009)
- Resolution on Graduate Student Printing Allotment (October 2nd, 2009)
- Resolution on Mandatory Student Health Insurance (September 4th, 2009)
- Resolution on the President’s Climate Commitment (April 10th, 2009)
- Resolution on Drop/Add late Fees for Graduate Students to the Administration of Indiana University-Bloomington (March 6th, 2009)
- Resolution on Mandatory Student Fees. (March 6th, 2009)
- Resolution on Establishing a Committee under the Provost to Periodically Review and Make Recommendation on the SAAs at IUB (November 7th, 2008)
- Resolution on the Organizational Structure Governing Graduate Education to the Administration of Indiana University-Bloomington (November 7th, 2008)
- Resolution on the Bursar’s Schedule of Payments to the Administration of Indiana University-Bloomington (October 3rd, 2008)
- Resolution on Drop/Add late Fees for Graduate Students to the Administration of Indiana University-Bloomington (October 3rd, 2008)