The Sustainability Committee and its members are responsible for environmental or sustainability related issues concerning or effecting graduate students on campus, as well as representing the interests and concerns of graduate students on several councils. The committee is open to anyone who is a representative, or any graduate or professional student that is passionate about sustainability issues.
This year on the committee we would like to get the representatives more involved, on both internal and external activities. Early in the year a vice-chair will be elected, and will help keep the committee on track, act as a liaison, and run meetings in the rare absence of the chair. Several of the representatives on the committee will also sit on external committees (for a list, see below).
The Sust Comm will also be responsible for creating its own initiatives and following through on them, ideally through crafting legislation. Topics for the committee to address can be put forward by members of the committee, other reps, or fellow grad students at large. A large part of the committee’s time over the year is expected to be committed to working on achieving these initiatives. If there is something you would like to see changed or worked on with regards to sustainability at IUB, please feel free to contact us and let us know (email@example.com).
In addition to internal initiatives on the Sustainability Committee, we also have a seat on several other councils and committees. There are some that the sustainability chair is directly responsible for sitting on, and others with multiple seats open to GPSO reps. These include the:
- Student Transportation Board-Campus Bus
- Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee
- Office of Sustainability Advisory Board
- Student Sustainability Council (SSC).
The Sustainability Committee meets twice a month, once after each General Assembly meeting, and then once more at a TBD time. The typical time commitment is between 2-5 hours a month, depending on involvement in other committees and the number of initiatives being pursued. The committee is open to anyone who is currently a graduate or professional student and is a representative.
- The IU carbon neutral group, which just passed a resolution! More information on the campus wide efforts can be found here.
- The bike infrastructure group, which is working on a resolution aiming to express our support for a bike master plan, and current bike improvement efforts.
- The composting group, which is working on identifying the most practical means of scaling up composting at IU, and then encouraging the administration to pursue it.
- The printing and readers group, which is looking to work with UITS and other campus offices to see how paper use can be reduced and services improved.
If you are interested in getting involved or learning more, please contact Jeff Meek, our Sustainability Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sustainability Committee meets the third Thursday of each month at 5pm in the Grad House.
2013-2014 Sustainability Committee
Jeff Meek, chair (gpsosus)
Skyler Hutto, vice chair
Kathleen de Onis
A. Jay Wagner