About This Award
The GPSG encourages all graduate and professional students to give their support to faculty members that they feel deserve special recognition for exemplary behavior by nominating them for the GPSG Faculty Mentor Award.
- Faculty must be current or have retired within the current academic year.
- Student must be current or have graduated within the last year
- The award encompasses tenured and non-tenured faculty, including lecturers and adjuncts. Faculty status is not factored into the committee’s decision.
- This is an award from the Graduate Student body of the IU Bloomington campus: candidates nominated must be faculty of the IU Bloomington campus.
- The winners will be determined by the Awards Committee.
- Any student is free to nominate as many people as they would like. The quantity of letters received for a particular faculty member does not increase or decrease their chances of being selected.
- Letters will be read only for the purpose of the GPSG Faculty Mentor Award and will not be disseminated for general access.
- Letters should be no longer than 2500 characters.
Examples of nomination criteria
- Fosters the long-term development of students.
- Is active and vocal in administrative and professional matters, such as assistance with publishing and grant writing, conference presentations, post-doctoral opportunities and job placement.
- Encourages students to develop individual talents and strengths by providing support and guidance in their research.
- Helps students acquire the skills and resources necessary to succeed as professionals in their fields.
- Sponsors students and their work both on and off campus, including supporting student attendance and participation at conferences.
- Assists with alumni contacts, furnishes specific job information tailored to the student’s strengths/regional preferences.
Submitting a nomination
To submit a nomination you will need the following information:
- The name and department of faculty member.
- Information about your faculty mentor, including description of why they are deserving of this award.
- A brief summary about yourself, including program of study, years in the program and any other information that may aid the selection committee in understanding the impact your mentor has had on your life and academic/ professional development.
Please direct questions about the Faculty Mentor Award to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Faculty Mentor Award.
The deadline for nominations is March 23rd, 2018.
Past Faculty Mentor Award winners
2018: Gamze Ozogul, Ph.D.
Instructional Systems Technology, School of Education
2017: Robert E. Terrill, Ph.D.
2016: Kenneth P. Nephew
Medical Sciences Program
2015: Daniel Knudsen
2014: Alan Dennis
Kelley School of Business
2013: Rowland Ricketts
Hope School of Fine Arts
2012: Leslie Lenkowsky
School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA)
2011: Jason Baird Jackson
Folklore and Ethnomusicology
2010: James A. Pershing
2009: Andrea Walton
2008: Colin Allen
History and Philosophy of Science
2007: Michael Reece
Applied Health Science
2006: Randall Bramley
2005: Pheadra Pezzullo
Communication and Culture
2004: Laura Stachowski
School of Education
2003: Susan D. Gubar
2002: William Yarber
Applied Health Science