Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
This position requires 20 hours per week and includes fee remission and a stipend.
Deadline to apply: December 17, 2010
The Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures is seeking a graduate student with superior writing, editing, computer, office, communication and interpersonal skills who is willing and able to perform a wide variety of duties. Responsibilities may include but not limited to research assignments, creating the department’s newsletter including writing, editing and production as well as editing and updating the department’s website and various office duties. This requires the person to be dependable, cooperative and able to accept instruction and assist with other projects as priorities change. This person will report to the Chair of the Department and the Department Office Manager. The successful candidate should have/be able to:
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook, Microsoft Publisher and Dreamweaver.
- Assist in obtaining manuscripts of papers from lecturers, and editing and preparing for publication.
- Prepare advertising for NELC events.
- Design and prepare NELC newsletter.
- Create statistical reports and spreadsheets and donor reports/mailings as needed.
- Assist with departmental events which may require working evenings.
- Assist Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies and Office Manager as directed.
- Perform other departmental office duties as needed, including, but not limited to handling confidential materials, photocopying, sorting mail, answering phones, and providing office reception services.
Applicants should submit a letter outlining previous experience and qualifications and a C.V. to:
Goodbody Hall 219
1011 E. 3rd St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
Preference in hiring is given to graduate students with interest in the Middle East and who have familiarity in a language(s) of the area and publishing experience.