We want you to know that we’re now accepting applicants for our 2014 Symantec Fellowship. This is a multiple award, one year fellowship for graduate students pursuing innovative research related to information security, storage and availability. It provides up to $20,000 USD that may be used to cover one year of the student’s tuition fees and to reimburse research expenses incurred by the student. We also plan to award all fellowship recipients a separate salaried internship with Symantec. The application deadline is January 31, 2014. Would you please announce this to your graduate students? Full details are below.
THE SYMANTEC RESEARCH LABS GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP
Symantec is accepting applications for the 2014 Fellowship. Award decisions will be made in March 2014. Symantec will award Symantec Research Labs (SRL) Graduate Fellowships to outstanding Ph.D. students who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. A key goal of the program is to fund innovative research that has real-world value, in areas where Symantec conducts business. We plan to make multiple awards, in the following categories:
• Storage and Systems: areas such as storage, backup, virtualization, cloud computing, big data infrastructure, etc.
• Next Generation Security: cryptography and security in areas of cloud, web, network, mobile, data center, big data analytics, networks, etc.
PROVISIONS OF THE AWARD
The SRL Graduate Fellowship provides up to $20,000 USD to support the research of outstanding applicants. The award may be used to cover the student’s expenses including tution fees,conference registration, travel, hardware, and other expenses incurred by the student to engage in research collaboration with Symantec. If the fellowship is to cover tuition, it will be made through the university.
Award recipients are strongly encouraged to take a separate salaried internship with Symantec that we plan to offer to all fellowship recipients. Interns will usually work directly with Symantec Research Labs at one of our locations (Culver City, CA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Herndon, VA, USA; Dublin, Ireland; Sophia-Antipolis, France) or with another group within Symantec. Each recipient is paired with a mentor from Symantec. A mentor is a top researcher or engineer who can provide ongoing technical guidance on the recipient’s research during graduate training as well as during an internship at Symantec.
Each recipient will be given a new laptop preloaded with Symantec software.
• Applying students must attend a university in a Ph.D. program focusing on systems research.
• Preference will be given to students with a desire to work in an industrial research lab and those working on innovative research projects in areas related to Symantec’s businesses such as security, storage, backup, virtualization, cloud computing, big data infrastructure, etc.
• Recipients will also be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence and their academic progress to date as evidenced by publications.
REQUIRED APPLICATION INFORMATION
Applications should be submitted as a single compressed file (.zip file) and must include the following:
• Resume or C.V.
• Personal statement of research interests not to exceed 500 words. Applicants are strongly encouraged to articulate the value and novelty of their research.
• Two letters of recommendation from professors or industry researchers who can evaluate the applicant’s scientific aptitude and potential for research. Letters of recommendation may be sent confidentially.
Incomplete applications cannot be considered, and we cannot guarantee notification of incompleteness. Please make sure applications are complete.
APPLICATION DATES AND PROCESS
• Fellowship applications can be sent now.
• Resumes or C.V.’s must be received no later than 5:00pm on January 31st, 2014 (Pacific Time Zone).
• Letters of recommendation must be received no later than 5:00pm on February 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time Zone).
• As part of the application process, some candidates may be contacted for telephone interviews.
• Final award decisions will be announced in March 2014.
• Applications and letters of recommendation may be sent to us in the following ways:
o Email to: SRLFellowship@Symantec.com
o Mail to:
Attn. Darren Shou
900 Corporate Pointe
Culver City, CA 90230
Please direct any additional questions about the Symantec Graduate Fellowship Program to: SRLFellowship@Symantec.com