Job Title: Research Library Intern
Organization: Monroe County History Center (Research Library)
Internship Available: Fall 2015
Number of Openings: 1
Hours/week: 11 Hours/Week (Cannot exceed 16 weeks)
Pay Rate: $9.00/hour
Job Description: The Research Library Intern will perform various tasks relevant to the Monroe County History Center Research Library’s daily operations and long-term mission. The Research Library Intern may be assigned the following duties:
· Accession new items into the library’s collection using PastPerfect software.
· Process archival collections. This will include arranging, housing, and producing finding aids for collections.
· Assist with the organization and indexing of various county records including court records, probate records, deed books, marriage records, etc.
· Work with the library’s oral history collection. This will include transcribing, digitizing, and accessioning interviews.
· Assist library patrons with their research.
· Contribute to the library blog and other web-based resources. This will include developing and maintaining online exhibits.
Qualifications: Qualified applicants will meet the following requirements:
· Current second- (or third-) year library science student. Preferred candidates include those in the dual MA/MLS program with the Department of History.
· Superior organizational skills and ability to develop and implement resource organization systems.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision and to make individual decisions based on best library science practices.
· Students with coursework in archives and/or digital humanities preferred.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest addressing past experience and a resume to Emily Borchardt at email@example.com with subject line “Research Library Intern Application” by August 3.
The Monroe County History Center Research Library is a local history library within the Monroe County History Center in Bloomington, IN. The library focuses on the history and genealogy of Monroe County from 1818-present and houses approximately 1,000 monographs and family histories, original county records 1818-1959, county maps 1856-present, oral histories from 1975-present, family history files, community files, and subject files.