These are links to awards available on the IUB campus–you won’t find them in the funding databases. Graduate students should become familiar with the offerings of their home and minor departments, their school/college, the University Graduate School, and the GPSG. Many of these units offer awards and appointments annually, so it’s possible to plan ahead and schedule time for preparing applications and requesting letters of recommendation.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you look for internal awards:
- Deadlines, awards, and amounts can change from year to year, sometimes with little notice.
- Always go directly to the source of an award if you have questions, and stay in touch with them (through their web page or e-mail list, ideally) so you’ll know if there have been any changes.
- Some awards require nomination by your home department, even if the award is being offered by a different office on campus. For these, make sure you understand your department’s nomination process and let your professors know that you plan to apply.
- Don’t be intimidated by prestigious awards! Fellowships like the Wells and the Edwards are very competitive, but every year they are awarded to graduate students not so different from you.
- Don’t ignore the small awards! “Money begets money” and winning smaller, local awards is an important part of building your funding history. Funding agencies will view applications for larger grants more favorably if you have won the confidence and support of internal committees.
- For information about funding your studies through academic appointments, see our Graduate Assistantships information page.
- If your department or school/college does not post clear instructions for applying for funding, ask them to post this information on their web page. Everyone benefits from a clear, accessible process.
This list is not comprehensive of the funding opportunities for graduate students at IUB–just the best places to start your search. Please let us know if any of the links here are broken or out of date.
UNIVERSITY SCHOOLS AND DIVISIONS
School of Education-funding opportunities
SGIS FLAS – School of Global and International Studies Foreign Language & Area Studies Fellowships at IUB
UNIVERSITY OFFICES & GROUPS
GPSG -Graduate and Professional Student Government Research Grants and Travel Grants (Note, in order to be eligible for GPSG awards, your department must have an active representative in the GPSG. Representatives are listed on the GPSG website each year.)
OVPIA – Office of the Vice President of International Affairs grants and opportunities
Chemistry – Popular fellowships organized by month due
Folklore and Ethnomusicology – Links to Internal and External award opportunities
Geography – List of External Funding Opportunities
Geological Sciences – Financial Resources and Grant Support for graduate students
Jewish Studies – Robert A. and Sandra S. Borns Jewish Studies Program awards
Physics – List of Graduate Fellowships and Awards