Alternative Breaks (AB) Graduate Assistant
The Graduate Assistant for Alternative Breaks is responsible for advising alternative break trip leaders and serving as a civic engagement resource for the IUPUI community. As an essential member of the professional staff, the graduate assistant will oversee the fall and spring alternative break (7 trips) as the risk manager and serve as a fall and spring break trip advisor for one of the trips. Individuals will gain experience in administration, leadership development, assessment and evaluation, program development, fiscal responsibility, supervision, communication, marketing, facilitation, and problem solving.
Position Responsibilities and Expectations:
(70%) Primary advisor for Alternative Break scholars of 10 trip leaders and over 100 participants, inclusive of regularly scheduled student meetings, and attending weekly co-coordinator meetings based on critical service-learning theory and best practices.
• Advisement of participant education and management.
• Advisement of logistical, fiscal, and risk compliance.
• Serve as an administrator for financial transactions.
(20%) Serve as an Alternative Break trip advisor for Fall Alternative Break and Alternative Spring Break and assist in the
development of curriculum for the trip advising cohort.
(5%) Participates in staff meetings and trainings.
(5%) Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree prior to August 1, 2019
• Acceptance into and continuous enrollment in a graduate master’s program through IU or IUPUI.
• A commitment and interest in working with a diverse staff and serving a diverse population of students.
• Excellent communication skills
• A valid driver’s license.
• Ability to adapt within a dynamic work environment
• Maintain good academic standing
• Interest in alternative breaks, leadership development, and civic engagement
• Commitment for social justice education, and inclusive practices.
Other Conditions of Employment:
• A successful completion of a background check and a motor vehicle records check.
Graduate Assistantship Term:
August 1, 2019-May 15, 2020 (an opportunity to extend to May 2021)
There is a commitment of 20 hours per week. Availability on Fridays from 10 AM-5 PM. There will be occasional required hours in the evening due to programs and meetings. The graduate assistant is expected to work with the site supervisor to flex hours accordingly.
-Nine credit hours of in-state tuition remission each fall/spring semester
-$10,000 annual stipend ($1,000 per month for 10 months)
-IU student health insurance ($1,950 value)
IUPUI Campus Center & Student Experiences
Brian Starkel, Senior Assistant Director
CE 370, 420 University Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46202
Application Deadline: Monday, July 8th at 11:59 PM (EST)
• No late applications will be accepted.
• On the application, the first page will be the position description and qualifications.
• On the application, the second page you will find the start of your application and you will be required to upload a resume, cover letter, contact of two references along with answers to two questions.
• Selected candidates will be scheduled for a Zoom video interview the week of July 15th-19th.
Applications can be found HERE.