These are links to awards available on the IUB campus–you won’t find them in the funding databases. Every graduate student should become familiar with the offerings of her home and minor departments, her school/college, the University Graduate School, and the GPSO. Many of these units offer awards and appointments annually, so it’s possible to plan ahead and schedule time for preparing applications and requesting letters of recommendation.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you look for internal awards:
- Deadlines, awards, and amounts can change from year to year, sometimes without a great deal of notice.
- Always go directly to the source of an award if you have questions, and stay in touch with them (through their web page or e-mail list, ideally) so you’ll know if there have been any changes.
- Some awards require nomination by your home department, even if the award is being offered by a different office on campus. For these, make sure you understand your department’s nomination process, and let your professors know that you plan to apply.
- Don’t be intimidated by prestigious awards! Fellowships like the Wells and the Edwards are very competitive, but every year they are awarded to graduated students not so different from you.
- Don’t ignore the small awards! “Money begets money,” as the saying goes, and winning smaller, local awards is an important part of building your funding history. Funding agencies will view your applications for larger grants more favorably if you have won the confidence and support of internal committees.
- For information about funding your studies through academic appointments, see our graduate assistantship information page.
- If your department or school/college does not post clear instructions for applying for funding, ask them to post this information on their web page. Everyone benefits from a clear, accessible process.
This list is not comprehensive of the funding opportunities for graduate students at IUB–just the best places to start your search. Please let us know if any of the links here are broken or out of date.
GPSO research grants, travel grants, and conference funding
NOTE: In order for you to be eligible for GPSO awards, your department must have an active representative in the GPSO. Representatives are listed on the GPSO website each year.
List of Centers and Institutes at IUB, some of which offer direct graduate funding