The Russian Studies Workshop at Indiana University is delighted to bring to your attention a funding opportunity for students interested in learning Russian and entering a PhD program or currently enrolled in their first year of a PhD program.
With the generous support of a major grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, RSW is offering awards of up to $6500 to cover tuition/mandatory fees (approximately $3000), and living costs to eligible students who enroll in a 6-credit graduate Russian course in the IU Summer Language Workshop (SLW) during the Summer 2018 session. The deadline for submission of all materials is April 20th, or until funds are exhausted. There are no requirements with respect to citizenship or resident alien status, as long as the student is enrolling in a U.S. institution (in other words, international students at U.S. institutions are welcome to apply). There are also no restrictions on level of language: beginning, intermediate, or advanced students are welcome to apply.
Eligibility: Students who 1) are entering a PhD program in a social science discipline at a US university in Fall 2018 OR are currently enrolled in their first year of a PhD program in a social science discipline at a US university; and 2) intend to study Russian at any level in SLW from May 29 (1st-Year, 2nd-year)/June 4 (3rd-Year through 6th-Year) to July 27, 2018.
Please see below for more details on how to submit an application, or see more at https://rsw.indiana.edu/fellowships-and-grants/summer-russian-study-fellowships.html.
To submit an application to the IU Summer Language Workshop:
- Send by email to Mark Trotter at email@example.com with “Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship application” in the subject line:
- A 400-750 word personal statement that outlines the role of Russian language in your research and training program.*
- A list of one or two references (see item 4 below) with their titles, affiliations, and email addresses.
- Send all official transcripts* of undergraduate and graduate study to:
Attn.: Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship
Russian and East European Institute
The Global and International Studies Building
355 North Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105
- Arrange for one or two letters of reference.
- One letter should come from faculty in your major field of study who know you personally and can comment on how a fellowship to support the study of Russian will further your academic career.
- If you plan to study Russian at the second-year level or higher in Summer 2018, please submit an additional letter of recommendation from a foreign language instructor certifying your level of proficiency and record as a student of foreign language.
- Referees should send letters directly via email to Mark Trotter at firstname.lastname@example.org with “reference for Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship” in the subject line, or by postal mail to Mark Trotter at the address above.
The applicant must request letters of reference and provide references with submission instructions. The Russian Studies Workshop will not contact your references to request letters. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Awards will be announced by April 30, 2018.
*Applicants for the Russian Studies Workshop Summer Russian Study Fellowship are encouraged to also apply for other SLW funding opportunities. Transcripts, personal statements, reference letters used for the RSW fellowship may be submitted for consideration in another SLW fellowship competition for the study of Russian. Information can be found at the FLAS website and SLW funding page (Title VIII and others)
Questions: Contact Mark Trotter at email@example.com or 812-856-5247.