Cheap Treats: Taking in a Movie

If you’re like me, you enjoy finding cost-efficient ways to have fun in Bloomington. I’m not a huge movie person, but when I do take the time to go see a movie, I don’t like to pay $9+ per person to do it. So…here are the tips I’ve picked up along the way:

1) Kerasotes (the theatre with a monopoly on the Bloomington market) has a “5 buck club.” To join the club, simply visit the Kerasotes Web site and complete the form. Within 2 weeks (tops!) you’ll receive your 5 buck club card in the mail. As a member of the 5 buck club, you can see any movie that has been in theatres for at least 2 weeks for the low price of $5. Most often, when you go to see a movie after it’s been out for 2 weeks, you get the added bonus of a nearly empty theatre, your pick of seats/rows, and all the elbow room you can handle!

2) The IMU (student union) plays first-run movies in the Whittenberger Auditorium every weekend for the low, low price of $free.99. That’s right…as long as you tote an IU student identification card, you can see free movies at the IMU. I saw my first IMU movie a few weeks ago (“Milk”), and it was great…not just the movie, but the feeling of taking in a $9.50 experience at no charge! My advice (not that you asked for it, but you are reading this so…): get there early to get a good seat, b/c (a) the floor in the Whittenberger is not as slanted as it looks, and you could get stuck sitting behind a giant, and (b) there are no previews.

3) For all lovers of independent films, the Keystone Art Cinema in Indianapolis has special “Rattle & Reel” screenings on Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. These screenings are specifically for caregivers to small children. Adults must pay to enter the theatre, but all children are free. This is the only one of my three tips that I’ve never actually been to myself. However, I have been to this theatre, and it’s great! If you join their film club, you get advance information on which movies are coming next and the occasional invitation to free screenings. As well, if you’re going to the Keystone Cinema without the children, you can enjoy a glass of wine in their swanky lounge.