Graduate Assistantship and Engagement

Now is the time to begin thinking about how you plan to pay for your graduate degree. I remember applying for assistantships after receiving my acceptance letter at this point two years ago. I was offered an assistantship with the Center for Postsecondary Research. As a project associate in the research center, I work primarily with the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). NSSE celebrated its 10th annual administration in 2009 and continues to be used by colleges and universities as an assessment tool. Over 1400 colleges and universities have participated in NSSE since its inception. My job is to primarily work with approximately 200 institutions participating in the administration. As a higher education and student affairs doctoral student, my goal is to assist colleges and universities in improving the student experience. In this position, I have the unique opportunity to work with several college and university administrators to help inform programs and practices that foster student engagement. I was fortunate to have an assistantship that aligns with my research agenda and long-term career goals. For more information about the NSSE project visit www.nsse.iub.edu.