The Project School in Bloomington

The Project School in Bloomington

I am writing about this school because I have children enrolled there; and their experiences with the school are remarkably different from those of other minority children attending some schools in town. I have met many graduate students of color who are not satisfied with the learning experiences of their children in their current schools. I can relate to their complaints because I had to deal with similar issues in a school where my children first enrolled when we relocated to Bloomington three years ago.

The school is K-8 and will be K-9 next year. It is a charter school; located downtown. Pedagogy in the school is predicated on experiential learning and project-based inquiry. Children become very independent and proficient in their reading and writing skills at a very early age.

The teachers are very respectful of all kids irrespective of their racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, and socioeconomic backgrounds. No child is ever turned away because his/her parents cannot contribute for an activity or field trip. The following languages are taught there during after school programs: German, Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish, and Mongolian.

If you are a parent who is concerned about inclusive principles in your child’s current school, then you should consider this alternative. The demand for the school is very high and as result, admissions are only through lottery.