The tale of two spring breaks

My first year as a PhD student, I took some time off for spring break and flew home for 10 days. Although, it was great to see some family and friends, it turned out to be a pretty bad idea. Not only, did I accumulate a ridiculous amount of work, (it took me about a month to catch up and get back on track), but I also manage to upset the rest of the people I did not have time to visit. I learned that, I much rather go home once a year for 3 weeks rather than going twice for 1-2 weeks each.

On the other hand, this year, I decided to treat spring break like any other week. Besides, the nuisance of planning around the campus shuttle reduced time schedule, spring break turn out to be much more productive than I expected and way more productive than any other week. Looking back and contrasting my experience with Ishani’s post “Spring break and the planning fallacy”, it seems that what made my experience such a pleasant success was the fact that my expectations, although very ambitious, were not completely out of reach, I just put together the workload I expect to accomplish on a typical 2-3 week period into one week. I will definitely be repeating this approach next year!!