Only a month late…

So obviously the school year is off and running. Briefly let me tell y’all what’s going on in my life AND give you a FREE TIP OF THE DAY about grad school survival.

This first month of school has been very crazy. For the Higher Education and Student Affairs PhD program you have to take courses outside your major. Being the adventurous person that I am I decided to take a Religious Studies class, and it is a very demanding course. Just to give you an idea of how demanding the course is, I have spent about 14 hours over the past two days reading and reflecting on the text for the class (see picture below).

This brings me to my FREE TIP OF THE DAY: do not blindly take any course, ever. This is what I did. Over the summer during registration I thought to myself, “hmm… this course looks interesting I’ll sign up for it.” If you ever have that inclination, raise your hand then slap yourself in the face. As soon as you recover talk to people in your department both faculty and classmates. At the very least, you should email the professor teaching the course to make sure it will provide you with what you are looking for academically

The same principle applies when you are looking at grad schools. This month is our annual event called Getting You into IU (GUI2IU). That event gives you the opportunity to check out IU, and see if this is a great place for you. So come and check us out!

Books for the semester

Light reading on a Sunday afternoon =)