Movie Night!

Hello blogosphere! I hope everything is great in your world. I just wanted to give you all a quick update about a fantastic event that was hosted by my organization (Black Graduate Student Association). Through out the month of January the University MLK planning committee solicited student organizations to host movie nights, and BGSA was asked to show a movie and then facilitate a conversation afterwards. The movie we selected was Spike Lee’s epic film Do the Right Thing.

For those who haven’t seen the film, it takes place in the Bed-Stuy neighboorhood in Brooklyn and follows the experiences of a pizza delivery guy, Mookie (played by Spike Lee). The film highlights themes of racial tension and police brutality. We had the pleasure of Karen Bowdre, a professor in Culture and Communication facilitate the dialogue. The event was a tremendous success.

You all know I couldn’t leave you without the FREE TIP OF THE DAY. Which is seek to be a well rounded scholar by engaging in the arts and high culture. The arts encourages andsparks creativity. So as a grad student don’t be afraid to take in concert at the IU Auditorium or an independent film at the IU Cinema. It is not a waste of time, it is cultural enrichment. Until next time… peace and love.