A few things to do in Bloomington…

So before I got here I was really unsure about attending IUB because there’s precious little diversity at the institution and even less in Bloomington. That said, it turns out that—for me—Bloomington has been a pretty cool spot to be, even in spite of being a fairly homogenous little town. So I thought I’d share with you four of my favorite things… about Bloomington, that is!

(1)  For the number of folks living here, Bloomington is a culinary heavy weight. Seriously, there are so many—and such a broad range of—good places to eat that, frankly, it isn’t a good thing for my checking account! My personal favorites are: Anatolia and Turkuaz (both of which serve Turkish food—and halal meat), Laughing Planet (an interesting take on burritos), Mother Bear’s (pizza and salad—wings, too, if you eat them), and Esan Thai…

(2)  IUB has an AMAZING campus. It is easily among the most beautiful campuses I’ve ever been to//seen, and has—give or take—six thousand great locations for people watching! There are also a range of good spots to study: the IMU has some pretty well trafficked places you can park and work for a while; the Wells library has both the “undergraduate” and “graduate” sides—each of which has its own charm; the Music Library is an amazing place to check out a CD (or three) while getting some work done…

(3)  Another pretty great thing about IUB are the gyms: the SRSC has easily the best equipment I’ve ever been around; the HYPR (aka, the other gym) is also really nice—though it pales in comparison to the SRSC! The only downside to the gyms is that they get wicked busy at peak times—so much so that I’ve had to wait for, literally, an hour and a half to play a game of 5-on-5 basketball before! Again, though, the gyms are definitely fantastic, and among my favorite places in Bloomington.

(4)  There are some awesome lakes around here! Seriously! Having lived in Colorado I knew that I loved mountains; I’ve also lived seaside (in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) for a while and knew I loved the ocean… but lakes? Weird, right? But, still, seriously: pretty cool! Bloomington has Lake Griffey close by, and then both Monroe Reservoir and Lake Lemmon are within 20-30 minutes driving. What’s cool about lakes, you ask? Well, for me, more than anything, they lakes around Bloomington have been great place to get a bit of a reprieve…

Hope these help if/when you make it out here!