Life in Bloomington

Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate–more and more–the many charms of Bloomington.  I think it’s a great place to attend school–for undergrad or graduate education.  There are plenty of arts events virtually every weekend–live music and free concerts courtesy of the Jordan School of Music (one of the best programs in the nation), theater and dance, etc.  Additionally, IU brings many acclaimed visiting artists, scholars and writers (all of whom lecture and often teach a master class as well) to campus every year.  The downtown is attractive and there are plenty of nice shops–from a place that makes its own ice cream to several bookstores to a variety of clothing stores.  Easily navigable and safe, it’s a town that’s really easy to figure out, even if you’re directionally challenged like me.  Housing is affordable here, too–especially in comparison with a larger city.  I’ve been able to find decent apartment options close to campus every year I’ve lived here, and I’ve moved more than once.  Indianapolis is an hour away and Chicago is roughly 3 or 4 hours by car if you feel like taking a  weekend trip.