Summer daze…

Where did the summer go? In academia, summer is usually a time to catch up on work. During the school year, it can be hard to set aside time for all those side projects (publishing an article?) or long-term projects (building a teaching portfolio?) that get pushed aside during the school year. Hopefully, a little relaxation sneaks in there too. This summer, I did an internship with the Mathers Museum of World Cultures, developing an audio tour focused on musical instruments from around the world.

Rhythms of the World audio tour at the Mathers Museum

This internship was actually not my first choice of opportunities for the summer, but when the other options did not pan out I was very happy to have the chance to work with the Mathers again. The project turned out to be a lot of fun and a great learning experience. It also taught me the importance of having a backup plan and making the most of the opportunities you are given.

And for fun… my husband and I finished out the summer with an amazing road trip to Maine, complete with waterfalls…

Waterford Glen State Park (NY), Moss Glen Falls (VT), and Taughannock Falls (NY)

ice cream…

roadside ice cream in Vermont, ice cream at a harbor in Maine

hikes, sailing, and historic sites.

the shoreline at Hermit Island, sailing off coast in Maine, and Fort Knox (Maine)

We love to camp, and it was a wonderful away to get away from school, work, and email. We traveled through some amazingly beautiful parts of the U.S. that neither of us had visited before, spent time with excellent friends, and ate a LOT of lobster. All in all, a perfect vacation. Of course, I don’t expect that kind of trip every year, and next summer we might stick around Indiana. But don’t worry – there’s plenty of relaxation and outdoor enjoyment to be had quite close to Bloomington…

floatin down the river at Turkey Run State Park