How Did I Spend My Summer? Reading, Relaxation, and Preparing for Quals

This summer was a transition for me in a variety of ways. As I finished the spring semester, I realized that I was, “running on fumes.” I desperately needed a break. So for the first time, since 2004, I gave myself a summer vacation. Actually it was a “stay”cation.  No teaching, no grading, and no classes….well, there was one small class in early May. It was a course on Critical Race Theory, and it was great! So I will give that a pass. However, other than this one course, my summer was completely devoted to giving myself some “me time.”  During my relaxation staycation, I created a nice groove in my couch by watching re-runs of my favorite television shows. I also got the chance to see movies that I planned to see once I got a free moment.  At first, I was nervous about this decision. However, it was the best thing for me. As graduate students, the desire to engage our respective curricula, or the drive to complete degrees in a specific timeline can take over our lives. To compensate, sacrifices are made to ensure that the goal of graduation is accomplished. I think that it’s good to be focused; however, it is crucial to one’s mental, physical, and emotional health to make sure that he or she takes the time to recharge.

As I was embracing my staycation, I was also preparing for my qualifying exams.  When I first entered my program, this rite of passage seemed so far away.  However, starting August 17th, I was going to enter the trenches.  Though I dedicated time to relaxing, I also took the time to collect and read resources.  Now having finished my qualifying exams (I turned in my final response August 27th), I really appreciate that I took this summer to relax.  Qualifying exams were very intense.  In addition to this, classes started back (AHH!!!).  I’m still getting my bearings, but I’m prepared to start the semester.  So Fall 2012…let the games begin!!