What I Do to Have a Balanced Life…

My sole purpose at Indiana University is to graduate with my Ph. D. in Higher Education and Student Affairs. Yet, I seriously doubt that I would be able to be as successful as I am without friends (new family) and extracurricular activities to help keep me sane.  In many blog posts on this site, my colleagues and I share many ways that we have found to connect to the larger Bloomington community. I, too, like to stay active in the Bloomington community with my church, the Farmer’s Market, and shopping. Additionally, I have found myself very connected to students, my peers and undergraduates.  Perhaps it is the nature of my degree, but I enjoy the connections that I have with my peers and students.

I serve as the adviser to the undergraduate chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People or the NAACP. This is my second year and I love the opportunities that I have to advise, mentor, and learn from these amazing students.

Members of the NAACP Executive Board

We have a very active chapter of the Black Graduate Students’ Association or BGSA here on campus. From social events to  networking nights, since my tenure at IU students in this group have celebrated birthdays, births, graduations, defenses, and so many other life altering events together. This has been a great way for me to connect to others across various disciplines.

BGSA friends. Taken by Tomika.