Networking and the courage to say “Hi”

Everyone knows the core principle of networking ☺ I think it basically means we make efforts to broaden our relations…Why? Coz relation is extremely important to our personal growth and professional development. There are different kinds of networking namely business networking, social networking… I want to mention about social networking under IU context. So how do we do networking? For me it starts with the courage to say “Hi”…

The hardest part to start a conversation with a stranger is to “break the ice” or “ice breaking”. This sounds very simple but it is not so easy. Why saying “hi” first? The “stranger” is certainly strange. He/she is so different from us…There might be no connection between us and “the stranger”…He/she might prefer to be alone…He/she might not be interested in talking to us …A bunch of “fair” reasons keep us silent and act as a stranger too. But…very often when I take the initiative to say “Hi” first, people open up immediately and we continue with very interesting conversations. These conversations provide me lots of good information about new school programs, community involvement activities, funding opportunities…I am here today to write this blog about networking thanks to a friend I met at the Graduate Lounge over lunch. That’s gives me the chance to meet with 11 awesome emissaries and we have so much fun working together…

We can say “Hi” creatively too. The most common I use are Heya, Halo and Hola. You could look up all kinds of foreign ways of saying hello and memorize them to impress your friends. I also see recommendations from another blogger who says if you’re going for humor, you can use famous lines from movies or characters. From Mickey Mouse Club, “Howdy, Howdy, Howdy” from Toy Story, and “Hiya Pal” from Mickey Mouse himself :) There are millions of ways to say Hi starting with the basic ‘hey’ and ‘what’s up’. What are your ways of greeting people? ☺

I also strongly recommend joining the activities of students’ associations at IU if you want to broaden your network. Do you know that IU has more than 750 student organizations all founded and led by students? Those organizations gather regularly to explore professional interests, hobbies, sports and recreation, academics, religion, politics… In Vietnam we have a saying “you are rich because you have friends” and I hope you are always very rich ☺