Once You Submit Your Application(s)

Once you have submitted your applications, it becomes time to breathe. You may not know what the future has in store, but reading the tips from my colleagues, I hope you have been able to gain some insight into what a successful resume and CV looks like. Hitting the submit button or mailing the package is not the end of your journey. I remember sending off the five completed packages and trying to move my mind to something else. Yet, I know that is important for you now to move on to the search for funding options. There are many options that you should consider when looking for funding:

1. Institutional funding opportunities. This can be found on the graduate school website that you have applied to. Additionally, you may find information listed on your program website. Look for fellowships, grants, and scholarships. Be sure to meet the deadlines and do not hesitate to pick up the phone to ask questions.

2. Look for outside organizations that support graduate students. Organizations such as Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) offer free applications and other forms of support. It is important to recognize these early in your search and remember them throughout your educational experience.

3. Make sure that you understand the changes that have occurred with loan processes in the U.S. If this is an option for you, be sure that you recognize the penalties, fees, and restrictions.

Although this is a short list, I hope that it encourages you to make sure that you increase your knowledge of your funding opportunities.

When I graduated with my master’s degree, I was a happy recipient of a graduate assistantship. It allowed me to consider a doctoral degree as a strong possibility.