To visit or not to visit…

That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the minds of young prospective graduate students to remain at home or travel across the country to visit the schools of their choice. (Forgive my butchering of Shakespeare) The question of whether or not to visit is a pertinent one. I will share my story and as always FTOD (free tip of the day if you’re new to my blog).

My story is a simple one. I got accepted to two institutions, and in the spring I packed my bags to visit the institutions in person. It costed me a pretty penny, but the trip was worth it. Stepping on campus and talking to people in the program face to face was worth it for me. Both schools I was considering were located in fairly rural town. One was more rural than the other, and being their made all the difference in the world to me. I’m a big proponent of trusting your intuition. And when you step on campus, you can get a good sense of if this is where you belong.

My FTOD is contact the undergraduate admissions department generally they do a fantastic job of giving tours of campus and they give you a great sense of what the campus culture is like. It’s a nice contrast to the tours most departments and graduate students give you. Oh and usually undergrad admissions offices will give you institutional swag.

Be well friends!