Food for Thought

Meme

Imagine this scenario: It’s crunch time, in multiple ways; you might have a paper or a group project that needs to get done ASAP, or you might actually have the munchies. What better of a way to continue to procrastinate on the former, and satisfy the latter than to go out to eat? 

As one who is a foodie, an unapologetic lover of all things covered in cheese sauce, and guilty of “procrasti-eating,” I have dined at nearly all the restaurants within a 3 mile radius of the IUB campus. The status of my waistline notwithstanding, Bloomington has a fantastic assortment of delectable foods that can satisfy any diet or lack thereof.

This, I can confidently say is my favorite thing about Bloomington. There are restaurants that cater to a wide variety of interests, and the diversity in cultural/ethnic cuisine available for sampling has surpassed that of any other college campus I have visited thus far.

Beef/Lamb Gyro at Falafels  Photo by Tiphani D

Beef/Lamb Gyro at Falafels
Photo by Tiphani D

Authentic Mexican cuisine (read: not Taco Bell), fusion Asian restaurants (with some of the best Sushi I have ever had outside of Japan, I might add), Ethiopian food, and Middle Eastern food all out shine any of the standard burger-and-fry faire you can find on every block. Let’s be honest with each other for a moment; that gets boring after a while. In additin, of you are here studying abroad, Bloomington hosts a vast array of food that comes from many countries, so if you miss your mother’s chicken tika masala, or your dad’s pad thai, there are restaurants that can cure this.

Samgyupsal (grilled pork belly) at Mama's Restaurant Photo by Tiphani D

Samgyupsal (grilled pork belly) at Mama’s Restaurant
Photo by Tiphani D

Bloomington also hosts “A Taste of 4th Street” at the beginning of the Fall semester; if I may slip into colloquial vernacular for just a moment to express how wonderful it is: it’s a veritable carousel of yummy-ness!

Soujouk Pide (Turkish beef pepperoni stuffed bread) at Anatolia  Photo by Tiphani

Soujouk Pide (Turkish beef pepperoni stuffed bread) at Anatolia
Photo by Tiphani D

If a culturally diverse spread of food options wasn’t enough to grab your attention, Bloomington also has a number of restaurants that cater to special dietary needs. I know a number of people who can’t eat gluten for health reasons, so I am pleased to say there are many restaurants that have gluten-free food outside of salad and beans! That’s right. There is gluten-free pizza and pasta here.

There are also a number of vegetarian options here…if you’re into that sort of thing.

Fish and Chips Burger at the Uptown Brewery Photo by Tiphani D

Fish and Chips Burger at the Uptown Brewery
Photo by Tiphani D

In sum, if you are going to move to a location for an extended period of time, I find it always helps the transition if there is a way for you to put off doing your work something interesting to try. If you do decide to be a responsible graduate student, most of the restaurants have free-wifi, so you can in fact, dine while you complete that group project that is due in 3 hours.