My Favorite Place in Bloomington!

After living in Bloomington for two years, I’ve found a place that feels like home! That place is the Black Film Center/Archive located in the basement of the Herman B. Wells library on campus. After spending an entire semester conducting research in the archives, I became a part of the family this past summer as a Graduate Assistant.

The BFC/A hosts several free film screenings each year and they invite some amazing film directors and producers to showcase and discuss their work! During the spring semester, I had the opportunity to meet two phenomenal individuals. The first was Madeline Anderson. Ms. Anderson is a pioneering black woman filmmaker, a 1992 Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame inductee, and was the MLK Day speaker at IU in January. She screened her 1970 film “I Am Somebody” about poorly paid black women hospital workers in South Carolina.

Me and Madeline Anderson

Courtesy of Katrina Overby

The second was filmmaker Cheryl Fabio, who came to screen her 1976 documentary portrait of her mother Sarah Fabio who was a poet and educator.

Me and Cheryl Fabio

Courtesy of Katrina Overby and the BFC/A

Just last week, the BFC/A invited rising filmmaker Ava DuVernay to screen and discuss several of her films. One of her most popular films, “My Mic Sounds Nice” aired on BET in 2010 and I had the opportunity to introduce the film in a screening at the BFC/A. DuVernay directed the EPSN Nine for IX documentary Venus Versus staring pro tennis athlete Venus Williams and she is soon to film an episode of the hit television show Scandal this fall. There is always something to do at the BFC/A, so stop on by!!!

ME and Ava D.

Courtesy of Katrina Overby