Acclimating to Grad Life

No matter how long you plan to be here, knowing everything that is available to you can only be beneficial to you in the long-run.  Before I arrived, I asked (the same) recruiters who encouraged me to pick IUB what I should know when I arrive (i.e. such as places to buy cheap apartment stuff, suggestions for late night eateries, or where to go if I actually wanted to study).  After I arrived, I asked all those who had lived in the Midwest and/or at IUB for more than a year what I should learn, experience, and/or avoid.

I can’t exactly pinpoint a specific place where I could get information about all the resources available to us on campus, but the Student Involvement Fair was a great way to gain a lot of knowledge about school departments and units.  Although intended mainly for the undergraduate population, there are some groups, both on- and off-campus, that actively recruit graduate students for volunteering, staff, and other programs/activities.

The Indiana Daily Student was another method in attaining information about the campus.  They covered topics that I really needed to know or sometimes didn’t really need to know but were interesting.  There’s a stereotype that the school newspaper may not be as good as your traditional newspaper, but you can’t argue that they’re not closer to the student body than any other media.

I actually became indirectly involved with GPSO, the Graduate and Professional Student Organization, my first year and am now on the Executive Committee within GPSO as Treasurer for my second year.

Graduate and Professional Student Organization

The IU App for your smartphone is probably the best way to get class, building, parking, and transportation information in the palm of your hand.  I personally use it everyday to check out the locations of both the campus and city buses in addition to checking my school email for that notification that the professor cancelled class (which rarely happens, but it does happen).