Say yes!

During your first couple months in Bloomington, and at IU, you will undoubtedly be bombarded with announcements about organizations to join, events to attend, places to volunteer…the list goes on and on. Even though it may be tempting to write off these options, I encourage you to say yes!

Even though it may be uncomfortable to put yourself out there and walk into a room of complete strangers–trust me, I’ve been there–you will find that there are plenty of people here willing to welcome you into their circles with open arms. If you’re wondering about how to find out about events happening on and around campus, I’ve included a few resources below:

1) The graduate & professional student organization (GPSO) e-newsletter: A few times each month, the GPSO sends out an e-newsletter with important information about funding opportunities, helpful articles about graduate school, and, most important to this post, there is a section called “GPSO plans your weekend.” Make sure to check it out! (Also, check out LaNita’s post on GPSO more broadly!)

2) Visit Bloomington website: This website is a compilation of all events happening in Bloomington each week. They include campus-related events (like sports games) and also community events (like plays and musicals at the local theater). If you’re feeling extra adventurous, this resource is great for getting a feel for any and everything you could possibly do in town.

3) This one is more specific, but a personal favorite, so I had to include it. I *really* enjoy salsa dancing, and Serendipity, a local martini bar, has free salsa dancing every Saturday night beginning at 10pm. Any skill level is welcomed–just get out on the dance floor and have a great time! Stop by their website or Facebook page for more information.

I can’t guarantee you’ll enjoy every event you attend or that you’ll become friends with everyone you meet, but that’s the exciting nature of trying something new! Chances are, you’ll run into several other individuals who are also looking to find their niche, and before you know it, you’ll figure out exactly where you fit right in.