Do It For the Vine

…and by do it for the vine, I mean join at least one organization while you are a student at Indiana University.

The story of how I became an executive member of my program’s student organization Graduate Students in African Studies is one that will stay with me until the end of time. If I remember correctly it went something like this:

Reynolds: Hey I’m going to be President of GSAS next year would you like to join my executive board?
Me: Sure…
Reynolds: Cool…

Being apart of GSAS has been a great experience because as the organization’s liaison I attend the African Studies Program executive meetings, which is a positive because it allows me to network with IU administrative staff and professors on the executive board in my program.  GSAS also has a strong collective of students from all academic backgrounds and our ability to work together compliments the Graduate Schools commitment to interdisciplinary interactions.  We planned our symposium as a team and beyond presenting research and going to GSAS meetings, we are all learning or enhancing our professional skills (marketing, management, communication)–those skills are necessary as you begin to map out your career post-grad school.