Alternative Spring Break: IU Outdoor Adventures

Kayaking through the mangroves in Florida. Photo taken by Stephanie N.

Spring Break is coming, and people are heading to the typical warm, tropical places for their escape from the cold.  Instead of heading to Florida, I am heading to Texas to Big Bend National Park, Texas where I am doing a canoe trip with a group called Indiana University Outdoor Adventures (IUOA).  IUOA is an organization that plans outdoor expeditions to various parts of the U.S.  This is a great resource for beginners and advanced outdoors men and women alike.  Since I am relatively new to camping, this is a great resource for students who want to try adventure trips but need the equipment and group leaders with advanced knowledge to take to places you could only imagine.

I did a week-long adventure trip with IUOA during Winter Break to Everglades National Park in Florida where I learned how to kayak and saw some great wildlife–alligators, dolphins and sea turtles, oh my!  These trips are affordable and you go with a small group that is lead by 3 group leaders.  If you are interested in exploring the outdoors, visit the IUOA website for more info: http://www.imu.indiana.edu/iuoa/index.shtml

For now, enjoy my photos from my last adventure trip with IUOA!

Sunset fishing with a friend. Photo taken by Stephanie N.

Relaxing by the beach. Photo taken by Stephanie N.

Kayaking on the Gulf of Mexico. A few moments before I saw a sea turtle! Photo taken by Stephanie N.