Watching the Sunset and the Sunrise

I can truthfully say I have NEVER pulled an ALLNIGHTER in all my undergraduate and graduate career. Want know how?

It’s easy to get overwhelmed in grad school with too many obligations¬†(reading, writing, teaching, research, and not to mention your non-academic life commitments). For some being overwhelmed puts them into overdrive and they can work fast and uninterrupted, but for others that anxious feeling can send them straight to the ” procrastinate zone”.

Don’t get stuck in the “procrasinate zone”:

1. Avoid reading- catch up Netflix queue
  2. Avoid writing- clean apartment and organize closet
  3. Avoid analyzing data- answer emails and take quizzes on buzzfeed
  4. Avoid your advisor- take naps

Instead I like to plan ahead and get started early. I’m a little obsessive and may or may not be a Type A gal.

1. PLANNERS! (electronic or pen-and-paper to get organized with deadlines and important tasks)
  2. SET A SOFT DEADLINE! (set an earlier deadline in order to give yourself some wiggle room to complete a paper or an assignment)
  3. GOAL SETTING! (make daily goals for a weekly assignment or weekly goals for a long term project that way you can make constant progress– writing 250 words per day is easier than 4000+ in one sitting)
  4. BE FLEXIBLE! (we all love making plans and being organized but stuff happens and we have to be prepared for unexpected events) **plus if you start working ahead of time hopefully you will have made enough progress that an obstacle won’t completely deter you.

Good Luck!