Xicanita on the Move

The majority of people are always in shock when I tell them that I am from California. The conversation usually goes like this:

“Hey where are you from?”
“California”
“What are you doing here!? Usually people want to leave Indiana and move to California. People in California are so chill and you guys have awesome weather!”

And I usually laugh and smile because I have lost count of the times I have heard people say this. But the truth is…I’m a Xicanita on the Move. The same curiosity that led me to study abroad during my undergraduate years is the same curiosity which led me to IU.

I know what you must be thinking, “Indiana is in no way as “cool” as traveling abroad.” But once you have had a taste of the unknown…of placing yourself in uncomfortable situations and learning to grow from them, then you are changed forever. You my friend are  then cursed with a “traveler’s heart.” This desire will lead you to the strangest and most incredible places you would have never imagined.

Moving to Indiana means that I have had to adjust to a different culture, climate, and rhythm of life. I have had the opportunity to walk in a beautiful but freezing cold snow storm, learned how to dance Cuban Salsa (who would have known!), have met incredible faculty that have pushed me to my intellectual limits, and have met amazing and supportive graduate students.

I am a Xicanita on the move…and whoever you are, I hope you too are cursed with this traveler’s heart which will lead you to explore unknown territories and experiences.

Xicanita on the move…literally running through an Indiana trail!