Family Matters (Xicanita on the Move)

Moving to Indiana has been one of the most difficult decisions I have made in my life. Like many of you, I am very close to my family. Growing up, I always made decisions based on what was best for all of us. So once I received my acceptance letter to IU, I didn’t really know what to do… When I came to visit IU, all the students that I met were very kind and the professors seemed very supportive. I was really excited about my program and the university, but I still wasn’t sure whether I was willing to leave my family.

At that point in time, I also found out that my sister was going to have her first baby in September. I was really excited and happy. I wanted to¬†to be part of my sister’s life as she transitioned into motherhood. However, I also wanted to be in an academic environment that would offer me the most opportunities to grow.

In the end, I made the decision to attend IU. However I do recognize that this decision has come with a price. I have to be okay to view my family through a computer screen during family gatherings. I also was not present for the birth of my niece, but flew in just in time to meet my sister and her new baby daughter at the hospital.

So some of you may be wondering, “Why would I want to make all those sacrifices?” Well, to be honest, all these sacrifices have actually made me a lot closer to my family. The distance has made me value them even more and have opened our lines of communication.

Attending IU is an extremely personal decision that must be well thought out. However I encourage you to consider taking this risk for not only academic matters but for your personal growth.

Family matters and I hope that throughout this journey you will have their support to make the best decision.