Healthy Body, Healthy Mind (Xicanita on the Move)

Skip dinner to focus on homework (Check). Stay indoors to focus on work (Check). Eat the same thing for lunch over and over cuz it’s the easiest thing to prepare (Check). Having health complications due to eating habits and lack of exercise (Check). WOAH! WAIT! THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND!!

Welcome to grad school, a time of your life when you can easily be consumed by, well…grad school. And let me tell you, although I am a devoted student, I have never made the time or effort to take care of my health. This revelation came to me when I went to the doctor last semester.

I remember walking out of the doctor’s office super confused over what I should do. I kept thinking, “I don’t have time to be healthy, I’m a grad student!” But then I would hear a small whisper, “I (disease) don’t care if you are a grad student, if you do not take care of yourself, I will become part of your reality.”

And then I pictured myself, walking across a stage to receive my diploma, and on top of that being “awarded” a medical condition. This is not what I want for my life.

So, I threw out the junk food, started to walk more, and rented a locker at the gym.

I am now coming to the realization that being healthy is like having an extra class. You just got to do it. You need to make time to cook and you need to make time to exercise.

So when you begin grad school this Fall, please, please, please, remember that while school is important, so are you! Take care of that body, mind, and soul.