Grad school is what you do not who you are…

Here you go folks: here is by far the HARDEST lesson to learn and remember as a graduate student: “Life keeps on going while you’re in grad school, don’t let it pass you by!” All of my mentors have said this to me at one time or another and I’ve heard it but I don’t always remember it or understand it.

Developing your academic identity is important and essential to your success as a graduate student but nurturing your own personality and identity is just as important. We can’t be successful as grad students if we burn out and hate what we do. So we must find a balance.

Two things a couple of my friends and I think are essentials to grad life:

1) Food: Personally, I love to cook and try new recipes. If I’m home sick, I prep some of my mom’s favorites; if I feel like procrastinating and trying something new, I look up a recipe online and make it. You can’t go wrong. 

2) Pets: Today is the one month anniversary of when I adopted this guy. Yes, just a month. But in this month, this guy has made life so much more fun. He gets me outdoors. He has eliminated my Netflix time. He reminds me that treats and play-time are a must everyday.

He’s a major responsibility (financial and otherwise) and I thought long and hard about it. I kept telling myself it was a bad idea to adopt a dog because I just wouldn’t have enough time for him. I wouldn’t be able to afford him. What would I do when I had to travel. I should wait until after grad school, I told myself. But one of my friends put it best…”it’s our life and we have to live it.”

Grad school is my career and my job. It’s not a 9-5. But I do get to decide to take some time of my day to myself. I struggle with this everyday. I feel guilty about not getting “enough” work done. But academia will always be that demanding, don’t let it dictate your life. IMG_3877IMG_3887

He didn’t take too well to Ernie Pyle…