FALLing into the New Academic Year

Photo by Garrett C

Photo by Garrett C

The first few weeks of class have certainly proven to be busy! I just began my third year as a Ph.D. student in the Education Policy Studies program. It feels great to be at this point in my academic journey not only because it means that I am getting closer to the finish line, but also because I am much more familiar with this vast campus and the resources that it offers. After a recent appointment with my advisor, I am reminded that there is still much that I have to do, but I am not overwhelmed and can see how I will get there.

I have many goals for this year and one of them is to attend more school events. I often hear graduate students speak with such pride about their undergraduate institutions and years, but that same pride and excitement is not necessarily there now. Yes, we are older and the academic load is more rigorous, but this year I want to connect more with my institution. I recently attended IU Late Night with some friends and we had a great time. We went through an escape room, played virtual reality games, ate and received t-shirts and other free items. I also attended my first Big Ten football game on Thursday when I saw IU play OSU at a sold-out Memorial Stadium. While we did not win, I had a great time being an Indiana Hoosier!