Black History Month Gala in Bloomington

Though Bloomington has a relatively small Black community (~4%), Black History Month is packed with celebratory events both on campus and throughout the city.  These events have provided opportunities for me to interact with community members and engage in intergenerational dialogue outside of campus. Wakanda aside, one of my favorite events this month was the  Annual Black History Month Gala. It was my first time
attending the event and one of the *few* black tie events in Bloomington for and by the Black community. Tickets cost $50, which is quite high on a graduate student budget, but worth it for the memories and opportunities to connect annually The event included a celebration of living legends in the local community, a silent auction, photo booth, food, live music, a cash bar, and fellowship. They also presented the Black Male Leader of Award to a dear friend, Marvin Jones, recognizing him for the impactful work he does in the community. The gala is definitely something I will look forward to attending again.