Ms. Sofia

The Color Purple (1985)

Graduate school can be a challenge at times, and we need breaks to revitalize and re-center ourselves. During one of my study breaks this weekend I watched the Color Purple for the umpteenth time. However, during this viewing I was particular struck by Ms. Sofia. She was a Black woman who defied parameters during a dangerous time to be Black and a woman in America due to threats from the internal community and external societal. I would argue that she was one of the most self-assured characters in the work. She loved herself enough to not allow anyone to diminish her self-worth. And even though she had a season of silence, when she returned she chose to continue to live her life by her standards. I challenge all of us to see her as an example of true self-love. As we continue on this process to refine and hone our skills as members of the academy, we should maintain a sense of appreciation and love for ourselves. Embrace the “flaws” that have been highlighted by others and see them as an opportunity show the beauty of scars.