How to Apply

Apply online to join us as a graduate or professional student at Indiana University Bloomington. This application will put you in consideration both for admission to your desired graduate program and also for financial aid.

Departments set their own application deadlines. Visit your prospective program’s website to determine when you’ll need to apply.

Begin your online application »

**Please note that the Maurer School of Law only uses this application for a very small number of programs.  So please visit the Law School Admissions Page to check admission requirements for each of their programs.

**Please note the University Graduate School Continuing Non-Degree application is linked below.

Admission decisions are made by the specific graduate program, which will inform you about any decisions. Most departments will supply applicants with their Student Identification Number upon admission.

U.S. citizens and international students use the same application. International students must apply online.

  • Applications Fees

    For most programs, the application fee is $55 for domestic students and $65 for international students. The Maurer School of Law charges a $65 fee to both domestic and international applicants, and the Kelley School of Business master’s program operates on a different fee schedule as well.

    The online application fee must be paid via credit card. Domestic students who use the paper application may pay the application fee using a check, money order, or cash only. Call (812) 855-8853 or email for more information. Applications are not reviewed until the fee is paid.

  • International Applicants

    International applicants must apply online. In most cases, international applicants should mail supporting documentation such as transcripts to:

    International Admissions
    Poplars 221
    400 E. Seventh Street
    Bloomington, IN 47405

    However, some programs are exceptions. Before applying, review the application checklist for prospective graduate students on the website of the Office of International Services (OIS) to ensure that you follow the proper procedure and send all required materials.

  • Non-Degree Applicants

    If you have a bachelor’s degree and wish to study on a non-degree basis without necessarily concentrating in a single department, you can be admitted as a continuing non-degree student.

Additional Requirements

In addition to the basic information, many departments will require GRE scores or other tests associated with that program, a personal statement, a transcript from all institutions attended, and letters of reference. Check with your specific program or department for specific requirements.

  • Personal Statement

    The personal statement is an opportunity for you to tell us about your academic and career direction and goals.

    Be sure that you answer the question that is asked on the application. Make a case for why you will fit into a particular program and what you will be able to contribute, rather than just what you hope to receive.

  • Letters of Recommendation

    Most schools require two to three letters of recommendation. At least one should come from a professor in your area of study. If you are changing departments, it is important to have a letter from someone who is teaching in that department.

    You can send reference requests to your recommenders through the online application, or you can provide your references with a paper recommendation form.

    Start asking for recommendations as early as possible. It can sometimes take professors a long time to complete a recommendation, and they may need a gentle reminder of their commitment to you.


Questions about admission decisions and written parts of your application should be addressed to the graduate degree programs to which you are applying.

The University Graduate School is more than happy to answer questions about the online application, deadlines, and application fees:

Domestic Students
University Graduate School
Wells Library
1320 E. 10th Street, Room E546
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-8853
International Students
Office of International Services
Poplars 221
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Phone: (812) 855-9086

Visit the Office of International Services »

The Annual Security Reports, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for Indiana University campuses, are available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at