Changes to Graduate Programs and
- Bulletin Updates
- Bulletin updates are made annually. In September, schools/departments are asked to update their entries. The University Graduate School provides directions on how to submit changes (most likely by Word with "Track Changes"). Retyped entries are not accepted, because the bulletin staff must be able to quickly identify updates. Deadline for submission of updates is usually in November.
- Route the updated file to Jody Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the University Graduate School. Ms. Smith shares updates with the College of Arts and Sciences IUB and with the IUPUI Graduate Office for relevant programs.
- Faculty Changes
- Graduate faculty membership. All tenured or tenure-track members of the faculty are automatically appointed to the graduate faculty. Graduate Faculty Listing (.xls)
- Endorsement to direct doctoral dissertations. Endorsements are not automatically conferred. Nominations are accepted by the University Graduate School and presented to the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs for final approval.
- All other faculty appointments:
- Contact your campus representative (see below) for details on how to process the following changes. These changes must be finalized in the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs before they can be included in the University Graduate School Bulletin.
• Named professorships
• Adjunct faculty (adjunct status is an official appointment, and may be requested via Edoc)
• Emeritus status (this is not automatically conferred upon retirement but requires an official appointment); Emeritus Graduate Faculty Listing (.xls)
• Leaving IU
- IUB: contact the Office of Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, (812) 855-0202.
- IUPUI: contact the Office of Appointments and Advancements, (317) 274-4627.
- Program Changes
- Before proposing any changes, please consult the current University Graduate School Bulletin's "General Requirements" and "Academic Requirements," which provide broad outlines of university-accepted policies.
- Program changes require formal approval by both the school dean and the dean of the University Graduate School. Examples of such changes include: addition or deletion of degree programs, changes to curriculum requirements, changes to program tracks or emphases, changes to skill of language requirements, changes in exam administration or policies.
- New Graduate Program / Degree / PhD Minor. Once a new program has received final approval, please contact Jody Smith, Academic Affairs, University Graduate School (email@example.com) to ensure that the program is included in the University Graduate School Bulletin.
- Curriculum Changes
- Any graduate-credit course proposal, change (including any rewording of the course description), or deletion must go through the University's CARMin system (Course Approval, Remonstrance, Maintenance and Integration) to electronically submit all proposals. For information regarding how to initiate or approve a course request, please go to OneStart > Faculty Systems > Curriculum Management for information.