Graduate Curriculum Development
Any new course proposed for graduate credit and any revision of a graduate-credit course, including course discontinuation, must go through the University's CARMIn system (Course Approval, Remonstrance, Maintenance and Integration) to electronically submit all proposals. For information regarding how to initiate or approve a course request, please go to OneStart > Faculty Systems > Curriculum Management for information. The University has a master course list which can be accessed by Scheduling Officers (i.e., by special permission from the Office of Student Enrollment Services 855-2092).
- Thirty-day CARMIn remonstrance lists are published the first business day of the month which is distributed online by the Office of Student Enrollment Services.
- Remonstrance Lists. Current and archived lists of proposed graduate curriculum revisions can be accessed at One Start > Faculty Systems > Curriculum Management > View Remonstrance List.
- For more information, or to file a remonstrance, contact Jody Smith: josmith AT iu.edu, (812) 855-4010.
- FAQ: Will my course request post to the University's remonstrance list?
- Before they will finalize any course, Student Enrollment Services requires that the course be circulated to all campuses with a 30-day period for comments.
- Any IU course counted toward a degree administered by the University Graduate School must be approved for graduate credit through the CARMIn system.
- Courses proposed by professional schools (e.g., Kelley School of Business, School of Optometry, etc.) sometimes request both professional and graduate credit, in the case that a student might need to apply the course towards a degree administered by the University Graduate School. Such courses must therefore be approved through the University Graduate School's remonstrance process; indicate both "Graduate Credit" and "Professional Credit."
- Graduate-level courses that will apply to professional degrees only (e.g., MBA, JD, MD, etc.) should indicate "Professional Credit."
- Instructions and routing for course requests:
- To access CARMIn: login to OneStart > Faculty Systems > Curriculum Management > Initiate New Course/Change Request.
- For instructions and help, click the Job Aids link within that box.
- Once a course request is approved by all level-delegates, it is placed on the CARMIn remonstrance list for thirty (30) days, and if there are no objections raised by members of the IU faculty, the course request is complete.