Preparing Theses and Dissertations
Table of Contents
I. Doctoral Dissertations - Unbound paper method
II. Doctoral Dissertations - Electronic method
III. Master's Theses - Bound paper method
IV. Master's Theses - Electronic method
Formatting Theses and Dissertations
Appendix A - Announcement Page
Appendix B - Master's Degree Title Page
Appendix C - Doctoral Degree Title Page
Appendix D - Doctoral Acceptance Page
Appendix E - Master's Acceptance Page
Appendix F - Copyright Page
Appendix G - Abstract
- Ph.D. Commencement Participation Application
To be listed in the commencement program, participate in the graduation ceremony, and receive mail from the Alumni Office regarding commencement, graduating students should ask their chairperson to approve this form and return it to The University Graduate School no later than October 1st for December Commencement, and no later than March 1st for May Commencement.
MONTHLY DEADLINES FOR COMPLETION OF DEGREES
Degrees are granted monthly. In order for a degree to be conferred in a given month, the following items must be submitted to the University Graduate School, by the deadlines below. May & December deadlines will vary.
NOTE - Please verify with your program, any departmental requirements that may be seperate from the University Graduate School.
By the 15th of the month:
Initial submission of doctoral dissertation or master's thesis must be completed. The content must be final and is subject to review of formatting by the University Graduate School. Students will be notified, within one week, if formatting corrections are required.
By the 27th of the month:
Submit signed doctoral acceptance page and abstract, as well as corrected doctoral dissertation (after initial review by/response from the doctoral recorder).
Submit signed acceptance page and corrected master's thesis (after initial review by/response from the master's recorder).
- May 6, 2013- Initial submission of doctoral dissertation and master's thesis must be completed.
- May 22, 2013- Corrected submission deadline for dissertation/thesis; original signed acceptance page (Masters/PhD); original signed abstract (PhD Only).
- PLEASE NOTE: The University Graduate School's offices will be closed on May 20, 2013 for all staff training.
- December 15th, 2012- Initial submission of doctoral dissertation or master's thesis must be completed.
- January 4th, 2013- Corrected submission deadline for dissertation/thesis; original signed acceptance page (Masters/Phd); original signed abstract (PhD only).
- Indiana Statistical Consulting Center (www.indiana.edu/~iscc)
Assistance available for all stages of research:
- Planning Projects (Experimental Design, Sample Size Calculations, Grant Preparation)
- Data Analysis
- Interpreting & Reporting Results
- Dissertation Abstracts database
- Recommended IT Training:
IT Training and Education courses (ittraining.iu.edu)
- Before you begin writing: "Word: Publishing Research & Longer Documents"
- Before or at the beginning stages of writing: "Word: Collaborative Tools", "Acrobat: Collaboration Features and Full-Featured PDF's" (both are very useful when working with your committee)
- During writing: "EndNote: The Basics"
- Tip on deleting page numbers from the front matter:
1) create a section break (page numbers will begin at "1" again)
2) open the header and highlight the box that holds the page number and delete the box
For questions: contact ProQuest at 1-800-521-0600 ext. 7020
- See the Graduate School Bulletin
(especially the section on "General Requirements for Advanced Degrees")
NOTE: You must enroll each semester after passing the qualifying examination even if you are not in residence. If you are graduating during the summer, you must enroll for at least one session during that summer.
Doctoral guidelines: (812) 855-1117
Master's guidelines: (812) 855-9345
grdschl AT indiana.edu
- Mailing address:
Indiana University Graduate School
Kirkwood Hall 114
130 S. Woodlawn Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7104