Doctoral degree candidates have two options for submitting theses: electronic submission or unbound paper submission.
There is an important difference in formatting requirements for the abstract page depending on which submission method you elect.
All candidates must fulfill the following requirements, regardless of the chosen submission method.
- You must defend your dissertation.
- You’ll need to decide if you want to register your copyright. Copyright registration is optional, and the fee is $55 through ProQuest. You should pay the fee directly to ProQuest either electronically or, if submitting using the unbound method, to the University Graduate School by attaching a postal money order to the dissertation submission form. The money order should be payable to ProQuest LLC.
- You'll need to decide whether you want Traditional Publishing or Open Access Publishing. The fee for Traditional Publishing is $65 while the fee for Open Access Publishing is $160. Please visit the ProQuest LLC website for more information. You should pay the fee directly to ProQuest either electronically or, if submitting using the unbound method, via the University Graduate School by attaching a postal money order to the dissertation submission form. Order should be payable to ProQuest LLC.
- You may also make your dissertation available via open access for free through IU Libraries’ IUScholarWorks site.
You may submit your dissertation online through ProQuest. Make sure you read all submission instructions before attempting to submit through ProQuest.
Once at the site, select “Submit my dissertation/thesis,” and follow the instructions. When creating your account, enter the email address you use most. Once you’ve completed the final step, you will receive an email confirming your submission. You’ll learn by email whether your dissertation requires any formatting changes within about a week. If so, the email you receive will contain instructions for making these.
You must also bring the following items to the University Graduate School in Kirkwood Hall 114:
- A signed acceptance page. Learn about acceptance page formatting requirements »
- A signed abstract. The signed abstract does not have to be on the same paper used for your unbound dissertation—it can be on copy paper. If your original abstract is not in English, please also turn in an English version. No proxy signatures are allowed. Learn about abstract requirements »
Unbound Paper Method
You must bring the following items to the University Graduate School in Kirkwood Hall 114:
- A final copy of your dissertation in a box approximately 9”x11½”. Learn more about formatting requirements »
- Doctoral dissertation publishing agreement form, with a copy of your title page and unsigned abstract attached.
- Payment for the publishing option you selected and, if applicable, your copyright registration. For Traditional Publishing the fee is $65 while Open Access Publishing is $160. Please refer to the doctoral publishing agreement form for more information about the difference between the two publishing options. Copyright registration is an additional $55. Payment is accepted as a postal money order and should be made payable to ProQuest LLC.
- A signed abstract. The signed abstract does not have to be on the same paper used for your unbound dissertation—it can be on copy paper. If your original abstract is not in English, please also turn in an English version as well. Learn about abstract formatting »
The University Graduate School must also receive at least one bound copy—two if required by your department—of your dissertation before your degree can be certified or awarded. The first copy is for the library, and the second is for your department, if required. Check with your school/department to see if it requires a second bound copy.
The Kelley School of Business, the School of Education, the School of Journalism, and the Department of Chemistry do not require a second bound copy.
112 W. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47404
Monday and Tuesday, noon–5:30 p.m.
Friday: noon–5 p.m.
Closed Wednesday and Thursday
Thesis On Demand
An online option for IU graduate students. Cost is based on the number of pages and other factors. For a quote, complete the order form or call the HF Group for more information.