Preparing Theses and Dissertations
DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS: Unbound Paper Method
TO COMPLETE YOUR DEGREE
- Arrange a mutually agreeable time with your committee.
- Set up the oral exam at least thirty days prior to when you wish to defend.
- Submit your Defense Announcement at least thirty days prior to when you wish to defend.
- We begin counting the thirty days from the date your document is received by our office.
- Track your document to ensure timely approval. Refer to the Quick Reference guide in OneStart to see how to do this.
- Come back and defend.
Ordinarily, the defense is conducted here at Indiana University, but under extraordinary circumstances, other arrangements can sometimes be made. Prior approval must be obtained from your committee and the University Graduate School.
- Once your defense time and date are set, submit your defense announcement
- Tip: Provide each member of your committee with a complete copy of your dissertation at least thirty days before the defense so they will have sufficient time to read and criticize your work; this time will also allow other faculty members who might be interested in your work to plan to attend your defense.
- Tip: If possible, phrase your announcement in non-technical language.
- The chairperson of your research committee must approve and sign the announcement.
- The announced time and place cannot be changed without the approval of the Dean of the University Graduate School.
- Your dissertation will be announced on the UGS website to the University community.
NOTE: The Acceptance page goes into the unbound copy of your dissertation and must be on appropriate paper. The Abstract remains with the University Graduate School and can be on normal printer paper.
One copy (required) is for the library, and one copy is for your department (only if they require a copy). Check with your department to see if you'll need to bind that second copy.
112 W. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47404
Monday and Tuesday: Noon - 5:30 p.m.
Friday: Noon - 5:00 p.m.
Closed Wednesday and Thursday
National Library Binding Co.
55 South State Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46201
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Thesis On Demand
A new online option for IU graduate students.
Be sure to read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Cost is based on the number of pages and other factors. For a quote, complete the order form far enough to see a projection of the cost, or call the HF Group for more information. 1-800-334-3628.
After your defense, complete this survey and return it to Kirkwood Hall 111.
To be listed in the commencement program, participate in the graduation ceremony and receive mail from the Alumni Office regarding commencement, graduating students should ask their chairperson to approve this form and return it to The University Graduate School no later than October 1st for December Commencement and no later than March 1st for May Commencement.
- The check or money order should be payable to ProQuest LLC.
NOTE: When you submit your dissertation electronically, you'll be asked about microfilming and registering the copyright for your work. Microfilming is required, but copyright registration is optional. You may also make your dissertation available via open access for free through the IUB Libraries IUScholarWorks site.
- Unbound Dissertation (finalized copy, all revisions complete)
NOTE: This MUST be in a box approximately 9 inches by 11-1/2 inches in size, and on watermarked, 100 percent cotton bond 8-1/2' by 11' paper of 20 or 24 lbs. (See the Format for Theses and Dissertations section for complete instructions.)
The front matter must appear in the following order:
- Title page (mandatory) - see Appendix C
- Acceptance page, signed (mandatory) - see Appendix D
This page confirms the committee's approval and acceptance of your dissertation.
- Copyright page (optional) - see Appendix F
- Dedication (optional)
- Acknowledgments (recommended)
NOTE: Depending on your personal inclination, you may wish to include a dedication, a preface, or a set of acknowledgments. The latter are designed to recognize people or agencies to whom you feel grateful for any academic, technical, financial, or personal aid in the preparation of your thesis or dissertation; as a matter of courtesy, you would ordinarily mention the members of your committee here, as well as institutions that provided funding, your typist, or anyone else who helped.
- Preface (optional)
- Abstract, unsigned (mandatory) - see Appendix G
- Table of Contents (mandatory)
- Lists of tables, figures, appendixes, abbreviations and other supplemental materials (if appropriate)
- Vita page - Use a basic resume/CV format.
- Doctoral Dissertation Submission Form
NOTE: Attach a copy of your Title Page and an Unsigned Abstract to this form.
- Pay your microfilm and copyright registration fees
Your microfilm & copyright registration fees are now paid to ProQuest through the University Graduate School by attaching a personal check or postal money order to the Dissertation Submission Form; payable to ProQuest LLC.
- Copyright Registration Form (optional) (make sure you sign the form)
This form is part the microfilm, copyright registration and publishing options contract.
- UMI Publishing Agreement (completed and signed)
- Abstract, signed (350 words or less) - see Appendix G
NOTE: The signed abstract does not have to be on the same paper used for your unbound dissertation - it can be on copy paper.
NOTE: If your original abstract is not in English, please also turn in an English version as well.
- Survey of Earned Doctorates
Purpose and Use (.pdf)
Confidentiality Guidelines (.pdf)
NOTE: The information you provide on the SED remains confidential and is reported only in aggregated form or in a manner that does not identify information about an individual.
- One (or possibly two) bound copies of your dissertation
The University Graduate School must receive the bound copies before your degree can be certified or awarded.
- One copy for the library (required for unbound paper submission)
- One copy for your department (only if required by your department)
Check with your school/department to see if they require a bound copy: Some schools that do not require a bound copy: School of Business, School of Education, School of Journalism, the Department of Chemistry.
NOTE: Because the original signed copy of the Acceptance Page must be placed in your unbound dissertation, it must be on cotton paper, but you may use photocopies of this document for any other bound volumes.
- Verify that the Office of the Registrar has the correct spelling of your name and correct diploma-mailing address
You will receive the diploma for your degree within about three months of your award date.
- UGS Exit Survey (optional)
At the end of the dissertation or thesis, place a: